News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Large N-scale layout

Started by RhB_HJ, January 31, 2012, 11:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike from CT

Jeff (and anyone else interested):

Rather than hijack Jody's thread, I started a new one re: Bailey Yard (Called "Don't Try This at Home...." http://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php/topic,1476.0.html) with my progress to date (only east bound and start of engine facility so far).  I'll post my progress there.  You're welcome to add yours.

I'll be going out to theater or I'd have gotten a bit further.

Jeff

This is version 2. Division point yards are at the ends where traffic turns around to head back to the other end. Note that intertwined with the main (4-track) railroad are actually 3 others. One is what I would call a class 2 road in this scenario. It has a double-track main and does cover a lot of ground on the layout, stretching from end to end. There are interchanges here and there with the class 1 road AND the two small ones. One of these is dedicated to mining and the other to lumber/logging.

I haven't got it anywhere near done with scenery and buildings, but there's enough to get the general idea. 'City' names are simply meant to give you some indication of how to look at that area- "Tacoma", for instance, means seacoast with a port and lots of freight interchange, plus a fair amount of passenger traffic due to skiing and such nearby. The two smallest railroads could be changed out for other industries, like a steel mill in place of the logging road or something.

There is some allowance for that passenger service in the form of stations here and there. I felt that once the bones of the layout are in place, more can be added along the way.

I can't drop the plan in here until version 5 ships, but at least this picture will give you a little preview. I'm going to post some of the other plans as jpegs, too.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Jody

Just wanted to drop in and say I am still persuing this. I have had alot of crap shoved my way the last couple of months and have been dealing with these personal issues. Once this is all cleared up I'll be back in full force on this project.

Jeff

Glad to hear from you, Jody. We all know how real life can hijack even the best laid plans. I've been busy with the project. I've been creating multiple versions with the purpose of trying to find the best bench shape. That's a fluid concept. Best for the space-shape or best for the list of 'Wants' and 'Needs' are not necessarily the same thing.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Jody

I'm back!!!Life is in order and things are well. I've moved (twice) and still haven't found all my N-Scale stuff, it's here....somewhere. LOL  I am still planing to build the Layout. However, the dimensions have changed and a few of the requirements. I've carved out a 15' 6" x 13' 6" spot in the basement that will house a permanent layout. The majority of the basement will be utilized to set up FreemoN/NTRAK ect. modules that will connect to the main layout via a helix/nolix. The overall dimensions of the basement are roughly 28' x 53'. There is one obstacle that I will have to give space to for the main layout, a set of stairs that make up one end of the space (13' 6" side). The stairs really aren't an issue as long as I leave enough room to enter the layout. A helix can be housed under the stairs and be configured to have exit points at the different module standards and the different levels of the layout if needed.

In order to appease the girlfriend(one day in the future the Mrs Jody) I am opting not to wage war on how much space I am going to carve out of the basement. So, this corner will suffice. I'd like three levels, one that I can sit in a chair and work/run/watch from, one that I can sit in a bar stool and one standing.

I'm still trying to remember Anyrail again but would appreciate any thoughts/help/criticism. I do think that the requirements for all things other than my changes can be met, either in the permanent side or the module side. My main focus on the modules will be to the FreemoN standards at first then to the others.

I can start a new topic on this, but I'd raher keep this one going as there is alot of good stuff here.

Jody

RhB_HJ

Aha, change of plans.
Since we're on page 12 I think it would be an excellent idea to start a new thread; less confusion and a whole lot of different ideas. If required one can easily enough link back to the relevant posts in this thread.  ;)   ;D
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display