News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Mac Version

Started by Robot, March 04, 2012, 12:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robot

Is there a Mac OS version?

Robert

David

No, there isn't, but you can run the software on a Mac using one of the tips provided here:
http://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php/topic,1024.0.html

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

mfr422

David,
I would like to second robots request please make a mac version. I like a computer that works and doesn't require updating every other month so no microsoft for me! I would have already purchased Anyrail if it was available as I Think it's the best layout software out there.  thanks,  Lonny

David

@Lonny: Thanks for the praise.

Creating a Mac version is a massive investment. Before we do that we need to make absolutely sure it's worth the effort.
Some of my fellow developers have revoked their Mac versions as they bring no profit at all, only a huge development burden (e.g. TrainPlayer).
As you probably know there's a lot of insecurity for Mac developers at the moment. Will there be a Mac Appstore, and will it be as closed for developers as the iPad/iPhone App store? If so, it's absolutely no longer interesting to develop advanced applications for this platform. As you've probably noticed, Apple takes a 30% bite out of every sale, and currently the prices for applications make a run to the bottom (often just 99 cents). Even at the outrageous price of $20, I don't see how AnyRail can be profitable on the iPlatform now.

So I have to postpone the decision.

David.

mfr422

David,
  Thank you for the reply, I know there are significant issues with a mac version, I just wanted to chime in and let you know that there are people out there wanting one.  I also realize and would pay more for a mac version as all the available software out is more expensive than the competitors versions. I may have to look into buying a cheap laptop in order to get Anyrail.  I'm going to need it with what I have planned! ;D
                  Lonny

David

@Lonny, you can run AnyRail on the Mac using Wine.
I don't know if that's an option for now?

See here for details: http://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php/topic,1024.0.html

David.