News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Counting sheep

Started by glakedylan, August 10, 2012, 12:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glakedylan

Jeff....greetings!

Is that any more effective than counting sheep ... or is that suppose to be rivets????

Hard to loss sleep over anything these days!  ;-)   But remembering the insomnia of
years back. But that was not over model rr stuff!  ;-)

The current advertisement on TV (do not recall what they are trying to sell) is
annoying as it states a law of physics as "an object in motion" without any
consideration of inertia or drag.

again :: high school physics i would think  ;-)

Respectfully,
Gary L Lake Dillensnyder

Jeff

Well, it isn't, entirely. There are a lot of little fine print they don't go into on TV (usually), but they would be fighting a losing battle trying to explain it to the 'general public'. Who wants to watch an hour-long physics lecture billed as a commercial?
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

You mean you guys still watch TV?  :o :o
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Jeff

Yes. You remember that, don't you? The Alzheimer's isn't acting up again? TV is what entertainment was called before the Internet came along...
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

glakedylan

H-J

well actually it is usually on in the background for me, except for 5 or 6 shows a week that I follow and find entertaining.

i hear more than i see ;-)

Gary

Jeff

And I've got the Olympics on all day. Who knew BMX biking was an Olympic sport? Well... it's educational :)

RhB_HJ

Quote from: Jeff on August 10, 2012, 12:23:40 AM
Yes. You remember that, don't you? The Alzheimer's isn't acting up again? TV is what entertainment was called before the Internet came along...

I was a very lucky kid, we never had a TV until I was more than 17. That peculiar tendency never set in with me, but .... there were some in our family who would watch everything including the test pattern before and after the broadcasts. Broadcasts were from approx 17:00 to 22:00  :D

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

Yeah, I remember those days. The only thing on when I woke up was the Farm Report ;D

Mike from CT

Quote from: Jeff on August 10, 2012, 05:34:31 AM
Yeah, I remember those days. The only thing on when I woke up was the Farm Report ;D

A country boy, huh?  Growing up in "da big city", first thing we got after the test pattern was The Star Spangled Banner.  After that it must have been something less than memorable, because I can't remember what it was....

RhB_HJ

Quote from: Mike from CT on August 10, 2012, 05:58:12 PM
Quote from: Jeff on August 10, 2012, 05:34:31 AM

A country boy, huh?

I meant to ask him what time he had to milk the cows and if was still done by hand.  :P :P ;D
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

Actually, I grew up 75 miles north of New York City, near the [4 TRACK] NYC mainline north to Chicago and Qebec. The Farm Report was fresh out of that big city every morning at 6 AM. There were only 3 channels broadcasting to the world from there- CBS on 2, NBC on 4, and ABC on 7. Anything else coming out of the city was spotty. When conditions weren't too bad we could pick up channels 9 and 11, which were really aimed at New York City residents and no-one else. I never cared about crop prices, but they sometimes ran bits on something interesting, but hey, it was truly the only thing on at that time of day!

Mike from CT

Quote from: Jeff on August 10, 2012, 09:25:50 PM
Actually, I grew up 75 miles north of New York City....

That'd be, roughly, the Poughkeepsie area.  Back then, that was way out in the boonies for anyone from "da city".  (Anything north of Yonkers was "da boonies" - and Yonkers' status was debatable.... )

But don't feel too bad.  I did pass through the area when I took the 20th Century Limited on way to/from college (in Chicago).  It was actually kind of scenic for da boonies....  :)

Jeff

Scenic it was. And still is, though a little less so. I was living a little south of Poughkeepsie (7 miles). It's a shame that you couldn't have seen it when I did. The little village of New Hamburg was where I did my train watching. There's an abandoned tunnel there (2 track) and the open rock cut(!) where they laid the 4 track main later on. It would have cost too much to expand the tunnel, so they took the option of cutting out a slot right through 100' or so (vertically) of solid rock. The tracks take a 'sharp' right turn on the north side of the cut, so trains headed south were always pretty much of a surprise. I used to take pennies and leave 'em on the rail. If you were unlucky, you'd find that there was now a freight car or engine with a partially copper-coated wheel :). One of the big sights back then was when they opened the original 4-track swing bridge. It was a long (to me) bridge and was really there to satisfy barge traffic in and out of the creek. I know from what I could see that there had been coal barges delivering to a dock and a small LCL freight depot that sat on a siding. The station (small) was still there when I was young, though any ticket agent was a thing of the past. It did still have  a room for checked baggage and a few elderly platform baggage wagons. When they upgraded to 4 tracks, they also put in a wonderful pedestrian tunnel under them. The little concrete shelter over each end had stained glass windows and the tunnel was a great, scary place to run through. You could never really tell when a train was due and we ran the tunnel just as if there was a chance it might squash us, if one ever came through at the wrong time.

Those were better days. Now, New Hamburg is just a commuter stop with a couple of car-level platforms and a big parking lot. The freight depot is gone, along with the coal dealer. Now it's a siding to supply a local heating oil dealer's smallish storage tanks. They down-sized the bridge to a short Bascule in the 70's and closed off the creek about 10 years later. There was some attempt to stop that happening, since it kept anything but rowboats out of the creek and the sailboats had to move to a marina along the river shore, but it didn't really influence the bean-counters of the NYC. Now, considering that we had commuter trains passing through every hour to 90 minutes, we didn't feel all that cut off. Certainly we could hop a ride to the city any time we felt like it.