News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Kato HO Unitrack #4 Turnout geometry issue

Started by BRS, May 24, 2013, 10:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRS

First off, I am really enjoying using AnyRail to design some Kato HO Unitrack layouts.

As I have been building quite a few of these layouts, I think I found a discrepancy on the Kato HO Unitrack #4 turnout geometry (2-850 and 2-851). When the turnout is combined with other track pieces, the length isn't the same as the Kato supplied #4 turnout geometry examples. See below.

The lengths as circled in red should all be the same length.

Here is another example which shows the gaps better.

The areas circled in red (in the picture below) show the mismatch of #4 turnout crossover. Kato has the crossover with dimensions included with the turnout instructions and the ends are the same length (length of each straight should be 360 mm). I also built the crossover using the actual track and the lengths are the same. It appears the curved leg of the turnout (as circled on the turnout at the bottom of the picture) is slightly off dimensionally, perhaps by a mm or less. The overall length of the straight track part of the turnout should be 185 mm which checks out. The radius of the curve should be 550 mm and 19 degrees long.

I understand the discrepancy is relatively small but wanted to bring it your attention in case the Kato HO Unitrack #4 turnout geometry could be improved. I checked the #6 turnout geometry by basically doing the same thing that I did with the #4 and everything was spot on.

Best regards,
Brian

BRS

I did some more checking and the radius of the #4 turnout appears to be spot on. I checked the radius by creating a circle using 2-210 550 mm radius curves on one half of the circle while the other half of the circle is comprised of the 2-851 and the R550-3.5 pieces. Please see the picture below.

I think the issue could be that the curved leg of the Kato #4 turnout geometry is just slightly on the short side and the R550-3.5 is just a little long. This would explain why the 2-850 or the 2-851 used in conjunction with the R550-3.5 checks out just fine but when the R550-3.5 either isn't used or is used in a different combination, then you get a mismatch.

Best regards,
Brian

BRS

I was wondering if anyone from AnyRail is looking into this issue? I have pretty much put creating any new layouts on hold until I know one way or another if this issue will be fixed or the geometry improved.

Best regards,
Brian

David

Hi Brian,

I'm sorry I forgot to reply on the forum.
Investigation of this issue is on the to do list for the next update.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

David

The turnout can be improved so that it fits better in the given situations.
However, it's mathematically impossible to make it work 100% in all situations.

So we've made some slight alterations, but please be aware that in some occurrences you might need to take for granted a 0.5mm gap.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.