News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Co-ordinate change when grouping

Started by Nick the Cabin Boy, September 22, 2022, 12:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick the Cabin Boy

I have designed some surfaces to represent the connector blocks that I use for my wiring. All my wiring is schematic, using 1mm lines of various colours. Being a bit OCD about these things, I want the cable to line up up precisely with the terminal on the block, using snap-to-grid at 1mm.

So, let's say I have drawn a box, with the top left corner at 100,100, put some numbers on it, and grouped it. The top left co-ordinate is now 99.75, 99.75! This means that I now have to position my blocks at X+.25, Y+.25 for the terminations to line up. But this means that I can't use snap-to-grid to place them (unless I change that to .25!).

Is this supposed to happen, or is it a bug?

Nick
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

David

This has to do with the fact that you've probably set a line width for the box of 0.5 mm.

Once grouped, there is no longer a distinction between the box and its outline, that will extend 0.5 / 2 = 0.25mm to the left and the top (and also to the right and bottom).

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Nick the Cabin Boy

I did have the line set to 0.5mm.

So, does that mean that I need to have a line width of 0.0 mm to retain the position? Or, I suppose, multiples of 2mm to give a integer answer for the extension calculation?

I might be tempted to ungroup one of each, then copy/paste them as required. Apart from the numbers, they were a plain rectangle with added points to represent the terminations, and I placed the cable ends over the extra points. That's one problem with grouping/saving; you lose all the points!

Cheers,

Nick
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

David

Yes, as soon as it's all grouped, it's just one piece (of art) with no further internal information.
If you set the line width to 0, or a multiple of 2 mm, you would indeed get the result you want.

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Nick the Cabin Boy

Thanks, David!

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been away!

Cheers,

Nick