News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Best thing since... the wheel.

Started by wlpearce, January 09, 2023, 11:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlpearce

I see someone already rolled out the "sliced bread" metaphor, so I had to dig a little deeper. 

Really... sounds like hyperbole, but I've been a developer for 40 years (fixing to retire as a CIO), and this is some fantastic software.  It does what it's intended to do, intuitively, comprehensively, and as far as I can tell so far, very reliably. Kudos.

Been modeling HO trains since I was 10, picked it up again about 15 years ago, had another lapse, and fixing to go at it again, but this time with some pre-planning and visualization thanks to this software.  It's been just as fun running through different track plan permutations in the software than actually doing it for real.  And each iteration has proven out benefits that would have been impossible (or prohibitive) to do for real. Appreciate the excellent value.

Bill

David

Wow, thanks a lot for the kind words!
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

freescopesdad

Well you deserve it David! I've never before had this much fun in the planning stage. Anyrail has allowed me to go through 27 iterations of the layout I am currently building, quickly and easily.
Owner/Operator
Chicago, Blue Island & Northern Illinois RailRoad

BadBanana

27 revisions is quite an achievement!  I am on number 18 - I reset the version number in the file naming to 1 after 9 and change the name just to keep my life simpler.  ;D  Of course, 18 does not include all the minor variations that I try out, or sometimes squeezing or stretching of the layout to suit a particular placement in the house / garage / garden room. 

I share your enthusiasm for the software - it really is the best of its type.  I note that quite a few model railway YouTube contributors also use AnyRail (Chadwick Model Railway, Dubai Trains, etc.), which I find helps me relate to what they are doing / explaining at different times.

freescopesdad

Yes, many changes were minor. One other thing I like about the software is that it allows me to keep current on my sectional track requirements. I use Kato n scale and maintain an inventory on an Excel spreadsheet, with columns for layout requirements, pieces on hand, and the resulting surplus or shortage. So every change I make to the track plan impacts that inventory. If I do make a change usually I can use what I already have, by changing radii slightly, or substituting 2 shorter sections for a long one, etc. Track gets expensive in a hurry.
Owner/Operator

BadBanana

Quote from: freescopesdad on January 19, 2023, 04:38:36 PMI use Kato n scale and maintain an inventory on an Excel spreadsheet, with columns for layout requirements, pieces on hand, and the resulting surplus or shortage.
Yes, I also do exactly that, but designing around Z gauge track, mostly from Märklin. 

freescopesdad

I saw my first z scale layout at the recent International Rail Fair in Roseville, California (November 2022). The modules were set up by the local z scale club, it must have been 20 x 20 feet. I really have to respect anyone who models in z. N is small enough for these old fingers...  8)
Owner/Operator