News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

I'm new - Hello and your opinions on my first effort

Started by AndyD, June 16, 2011, 09:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyD

Hello all

I'm new and like some of you here, the kids have moved out so its time for the track to come out again!!  I've discovered this nice community and downloaded AnyRail and had a go at making a layout that will work

It's n gauge and hopefully want to build it for a new Digital locos that I've got my eye on!!

Please give me your thoughts and advice, I'm thick skinned, so please help and comment.  I think I've attached the file

Many thanks in advance
Andy

David

Hi Andy,

Your layout looks OK. What's good is that everything seems to be in reach.

To my taste however there's not much 'purpose' in it. What I mean is that the trains will happily make their rounds, but not for a clear reason.

Also, it's OK to have a lot of turnouts, but it's expensive, and takes away a lot of the playing fun. Part of the fun are the 'puzzles' to get a train or its cargo or passengers to a certain location.

Perhaps it helps to think of the sort of industry or passenger service that your trains need to provide. Perhaps a high speed service between London and Paris, or a rural area where cattle needs to be moved from the farms to the nearby market. Or perhaps fish from a harbor to the city (just to name a few examples), or a light rail shuttle from the city to the beach.

With a clear theme in mind, and perhaps even a year or era, it's a lot easier to come up with an exciting plan that will keep you interested for a longer time.

I hope this helps!

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Jeff

As David says, welcome Andy! Don't worry- we don't tear up your efforts and toss them in the waste bin for fun, around here.

I agree- unless the object is simply to 'run trains', then more thought should be given to where in the 'real world' the stations are and what connection they have. I disagree (at least a little) with David about turnouts, since a railroad will use turnouts (even specialty ones) if they are needed to route trains where they need to go. Also, have a care about what track system you use for your design- choosing the wrong one can limit your options in a BIG way. For instance, SetTrack  is not often a great choice for layouts due to the lack of flex track, unless you already own a large amount. Then you need to consider that Peco is phasing out the line, which will limit your future options.

Personally, I'm not a fan of what seems too-geometric layouts often popular in European circles, but that's just my taste. About the only lack I see to make your layout work is engine service facilities. Remember, even diesels need service  and fuel!
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

chaz

Nothing like an aerial shot of something real to inspire.  This yard is Northwest of London.  There is nothing like the realism of an odd shaped property with rails.

Simplify, but try to keep some relationship between property shape, buildings and track.

I think it's a maintenance yard, but does someboey really know what happens here?
MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

RhB_HJ

Hi Andy, welcome to the FUN,

I looked at your plan and the instant reaction was

Humour on

A layout without flextrack is like soup without fluid.

Humour off!

But the space has some possibilities, quite a few have been mentioned already. As the saying goes, less can be more i.e. some of your crossovers are either in the wrong position or completely redundant.

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

AndyD

I say what you are all saying.  I think I still have my 14 year old head on!!

Back to the drawing board and flexi track!!

Thank you for being kind enough to take a look!!

Andy

Jeff

Chaz,

What you seem to have there is a combination of two things (or three)- a junction between two railways, with an interchange yard, and possibly a service shed for engines or wagons or it may be an industrial building simply sited there because the rail service to it is so good at all times (though I think the former possibility is more likely of the two). Next time, get your satellite to focus in on the buildings :)
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Ben00Thompson

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum.
I like the design. If you're into watching the trains go by, then it's going to be quite nice.
I've only recently started too, but the guys helped me a lot, and I would agree with their comments.

There is nothing wrong with using setrack to start out, but remember it has it's limitations and won't give you a "real world" look and feel. Certainly in the UK, tracks don't go through 22.5 or 45 degree turns at various radii.  :-\
The other benefit is the lengths are considerably cheaper, and can replace large numbers of double straights to keep costs down.

What era are you planning to model in and what sort of location?

Cheers

BT

AndyD

Hi BT

I've changed plan now!  I'm going back to OO and have taken peoples advice and planned a couple of new layouts to fit in the space I have.

I'm going for modern era, with possibly a presavation line for my old rolling stock

Anyway attached is a few more ideas I have!!

Thanks for taking the time to look
Andy

RhB_HJ

Hi Andy,

Around the room probably makes better use of the space and the layout can visually be devided in three separate segments. Stations A and B, Junction C and open countryside.
Rather than have three separate loops I treated the track going to Station A as a branchline which sooner or later has to join the double mainline.

Next step is the elevations and the different grades.

PS Yes, this is intended for LH running!
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display