News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Railfanning (aka train spotting)

Started by RhB_HJ, July 10, 2011, 07:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhB_HJ

Since I'm back to driving - doctor's orders called for a 8 week lull - I'm also back to railfanning. Nothing like finding out how the "real thing" works. BTW for those who sometimes forget: there is a lot more scenery out there than railroad!
Finally got an HD camcorder - naturally it had to be the right one, which in my case is the Panasonic HDC-TM90. Got the first sequences yesterday, but they still have to be edited.

While we don't have an open double horseshoe curve in the neighbour hood (à la NE), there is a big loop not too far from here (approx 80km), and the best thing is the road that passes through and allows filming of the whole approx. 237º curve.

Just for "kicks" I used both camcorders - the other one is a SD Canon FS100 - shot the approaching train as it came around the curve and in through the culvert (cam fixed on the one tripod), then the other side with the TM90 and panned along as it progressed along the curve.

I'll add the links to the videos as soon as I get them finished.

Oh yeah, obligatory equipment when I go railfanning (other than the camcorder equipment):

High visibility vest!
Sturdy shoes and safety boots (if you plan on getting into shops and other work areas)
Hat
Sun screen!
Scanner
The Canadian Trackside Guide
Camping chair with umbrella (for those times when you're waiting at a specific location for the specific train!)
Drinks and food!

AND if you can arrange it, good weather!  ;) :)
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Jeff

Well, that IS a dramatic spot! And I like your list, though I would add a special note that you should be sure to take enough liquid refreshment to keep hydrated. This can be sneaky since high, cold country can suck the moisture right out of your lungs.

HJ, you're lucky that Canada has trainspotting guides. The U.S. hasn't had a current book of that kind in decades :( . Then you need to be in range of a 'real' mainline. In m case, the only railroad is a regional affair, with maybe 2 or 3 train movements per day. You'd go not so slowly nuts waiting for anything to happen. The closest main tracks are over 90 miles away. That's not impossible, but in these days of $3.50+-per-gallon gas, you'd better make it pay off. Without any railroad schedule available for freights and passenger runs that seem to pass through the region between midnight and 3 AM, you'd best have some impressive camera equipment. I really do miss growing up within walking distance of the 4-track NYC mainline! You could watch 10-15 trains per day plus locals. But those were other days and today things are a little different...
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

Hi Jeff,

I count my blessings every day .... but especially on railfanning days. On the liquids; depending where I go and how long I plan to stay out that day it's either two mini coolers or a big cooler with enough tea and Coke to last me the day.

One more thing, I always wear long pants ;) .... ever since I was waiting (2 hours) for the Rocky Mountaineer along Moose Lake (1033m ASL), nice bright sunshine at altitude in the Rockies resulted in a bit of burn on my legs. Live and learn!

Since the Panasonic TM90 does HD (even 3D with an extra lens ;)) it was time for new editing software, too. I'm now using CyberLink's Power Director 9 which means learning a few new "tricks", but there is enough similarity with Ulead MediaStudioPro 8 that it's bearable i.e. RTFM is once more part of the daily diet.

I got the first "shortie" edited http://www.vimeo.com/26306986. Noticed that having the tripod set up on the fill over the railway culvert gives an interesting vib to the video ... in sequence with every gap between cars coming through the culvert entrance.  ??? :o ???
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

RhB_HJ

Wednesday July 13th was the day the Empress (CP Hudson 2816) was to be on a special historic train. But she developed an axle problem and it was diesel time in front of the historic cars.

Historic cars hauled by GP 38-2 #3084 .
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

Don't ya just hate when that happens? Get all cranked up about seeing vintage steam and see not-so-vintage diesel instead. It's about the way I felt when I learned that the local historic group was planning on doing a "display / cosmetic" renovation of their Kenawha 4-8-4 in stead of a full working restoral. Sometimes it's hard to get the idea of doing things the RIGHT way thru certain heads. I know it would cost double the money, but it's not like there aren't plenty of ways to raise the money, given a little time. We've got one guy locally who has an entire 'fleet' of steam (and a few diesel) and is building a roundhouse, turntable, and shops in order to maintain and display them. Matter of fact, I know he has a few examples of prime Canadian steam in his collection...
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

And sometimes when you're not even chasing after trains, just doing a little canyon tour, you luck into stuff like this.

CN Rail - in the Thompson Canyon (RailAndWater)

As mentioned in the write-up with the video, the rafters were the main theme.

Out and About -- River Rafting on the Thompson

What about layout planning? Just check out how much more scenery there is compared to the two railway lines along the river.  ;)   :D
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

"Just check out how much more scenery there is compared to the two railway lines along the river."

Sure... there should be bridges and rivers and stations and even factories to supply the railroad! Kinda gives train crews something to look at while on long trips :)