News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Cut Flex here function

Started by RhB_HJ, March 05, 2012, 04:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhB_HJ

What accuracy can be expected? It happens quite often that the cut is nowhere near the point that was selected. In the worst case it is way down the piece of flex, in some cases far enough that the flex shows up in red as if it were extended that far.  ::) :-[
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

David

From where you click, the nearest by point on the flex is determined where the flex is cut.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Jeff

I've had the problem, but the offset to where my mouse is pointing has only been maybe an inch or two to where it gets cut. Not good, but livable. One can always tweak the ends by grabbing the connection point and "sliding" it to where it was supposed to be. Fortunately, I haven't had your extreme cases, HJ.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

David,

That's what I figured, but quite often that's not what happens. I'll pay closer attention to see what could cause it when it happens.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

It may be the infamous "Wandering Selection Point". I have a situation where I never ever really know where things will show up, on-screen, when I hit ctrl-v or paste. Track may show up where I point or it may show up several grid-squares (feet) away. This has been happening since about version 2.5 or 3.
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

Jeff that one I have figured out - not solved, figured out. On my computer it only happens when the item is not aligned to X or Y.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

"it only happens when the item is not aligned to X or Y."

i.e. 90%+ of the time...  Yep.

David

Could you please send us an example "any" file with instructions how to reproduce this?

David.

Jeff

I can't, but maybe HJ can guarantee it. I've been busy with other things this morning and haven't checked his theory on what causes it. I on'y really pay attention to it when it results in an item showing up so far from where I need it that it's ridiculous. I'll report more later.

BritsTukker

I would like to understand more about this problem as I simply cannot reproduce it.
I'm running AR 4.23 under Windows XP(SP3). When I select a bit of flex (at any angle) and with more or less any magnification (tried from 1:1 down to 1:12), then I always get the cut within 3mm (on screen) of where I ask for it. I've never seen it jump to another place or cause the track to lengthen.

How many people are actually having this problem and how do you reproduce it?

PaulB

As a disclaimer, I need to state that I have not read the manual. I only go into manuals when absolutely needed.

I have noted that the Cut Flex option is there but have not figured out when I might need it.

If I need to insert a turnout in the middle of a piece of flex, I glue and lock the heights of the pieces on either end of the flex piece, I then disconnnect the Flex and then change its length to what I need and then reconnect it, connect the turnout and then grab another piece of flex, change its lenght to just short of what I need and then put it in place and connecting it on one end and then dragging the point to connect the other end.

Paul
Paul
CEO of the PB&J RR

RhB_HJ

I'm running Win7 with 8G RAM and a fast video card. Today it just kept doing it and then AR locked up. The cutting bit was flakey enough today to instead of cutting it would extend the piece of track to several extra lengths!

@ Paul

Cutting is the cat's meow ... if it works as intended.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

David

Of course this needs to be solved!

As there doesn't seem to be a simple way to reproduce it, could you please try the following when it happens again:
1. Make a screen shot of the result and send it to me.
2. Save the result as an 'any' file and send me the file.
3. Undo (to get the situation before it happens)
4. Save again, and send me that file too.

Beware: In Step 2 and 4, please save under different names to not overwrite either one unintentionally.

Windows 7 comes with a tool to make screenshots.  It's in the accessories and is called 'Snipping tool'.

I hope you can do this!

Thanks a lot.

David.

RhB_HJ

Yes David, I will do that. It won't work when it locks up because there is no way to go back. No undo, it is strictly exit time!

Yep I'm familiar with the screenshot routine, that's how I usually do the step by step examples.  ;)
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

I've never had HJ's extreme case, but I run XP at the moment. Still, you can never be sure of where the actual cut will show up.

@PaulB- The procedure with the cutting tool is this: Figure where you want the turnout, click the flex where you want one end of the turnout and use the tool, same for the other end, disconnect and remove the excess piece of flex (or click it and delete), then drop in the turnout and attach the ends. Once you make it a habit, it's much faster than your way.