News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Cork or Homabed

Started by AlexW, March 24, 2012, 03:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexW

What's the best material for laying track on top of? Pro and cons?

RhB_HJ

Alex,

Back in my HOm days when I was handlaying all the track I used Lauan (mahagony door skin) because it really holds the spikes.

I used Homesote once - the customer was insisting on it - oh man what a mess that was to cut into strips. I guess it's OK if you can get the pre-cut stuff. Latest project - a G-switching puzzle - I used 1/8" cork from the building center, easy to cut with a HD knife.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Jeff

The choice between all the alternatives rests on so many factors that I can't pick 'one of the above'. I've all the commercially available roadbeds in various situations and about the best I can do for you is to list some of the indications against using things in those situations and a few reasons to use them.

Homasote (or Homabed)- Cons: Not good in high humidity areas, does tend to warp when unsupported at all points, can be messy to shape. Pros: Very easy to mount track to, fast to lay track-just spike (nail) with pliers, very easy to carve minor landscaping into- especially streams and rivers.

Cork- Cons: Can be expensive especially if thick in large quantities, changes dimension with changes in humidity though this can be negated if you use thicker cork and don't nail through track into the subroadbed. Pros: Easy to work with, looks good when balllasted, soaks up sound.

Direct to plywood- Cons: NOISY, expensive compared to the others, unless your last name is Schwarzeneger it's hard to push nails into, not easy to shape. Pros: Structurally stable, supports the track best.

That covers the high points. I lean toward thick cork a lot of the time. There are other alternatives, like  rolled rubber roadbed, which has everything going for it except that it is somewhat expensive and offers no structural support for the track. One I'm looking into is using bicycle tire inner-tubes cut into strips. Again, there is no support, but it make trains quieter (great thing if your engines have sound systems). This is an important point when you consider why you're using a roadbed in the first place. As far as I can see, there are only two reasons for roadbed: 1) Noise control, and 2) To give shape to model ballast. When you think about that, then direct-to-plywood loses out quickly, Homabed comes in second, and shaped cork (or layered cork sheet) really is about the best choice.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It