News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Positioning Flextrack using (x,y)

Started by fotoflojoe, March 31, 2012, 12:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fotoflojoe

Hi There!

Can anyone tell, or point me in the direction of where I can find out how to set the (x,y) position of flextrack?
I've seen tutorials instructing the reader to right-click an end-point and select "Set Position" from the context menu.
In my version (4.x), this feature exists for sectional track, but I can't seem to find it anywhere for flextrack.
Has this been removed? If so, why?

It's really nice (and intuitive) to drag and form flextrack with the mouse, but at some point, there exists the need to position it precisely.
Trying to position it using the mouse is not accurate and more than a little frustrating.

Overall, a great product, but I'd really like to see this feature back in place.

Thanks,
-Joe

David

To position it make sure you click the endpoint, not the control point.
The control point is a '+'. The endpoint looks a bit like an arrow. So that's the one you need.

If it's difficult to click it, go to the settings tab to increase the endpoint size (or decrease the control point size).

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

PaulB

Speaking of Flex track, whe I define a piece of Flex as Easement, why does it not present my specs when I click on it like what happens when I click on a Curve Flex (angle, radius & length)?

Also it appears that the left end of a piece of flex treated differently than the right end (when initially brought in from the track library) but I can not find any indicator as to which end is which. This is a headache when moving stuff around.

A piece of Flex that has been defined as Curve or Easement should be able to have its 'geometry' locked so it does not become bent flex while connecting somewhere at least not without warning the user.

Paul
Paul
CEO of the PB&J RR

David

@Paul,

Thanks for your comments!

I can see if the easement specs can be shown in the status bar similar to curved flex.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'the left end is treated differently than the right end'. Can you please explain?
The way to connect flex without disturbing its shape is to drag it by the track, not by an endpoint.

David.

PaulB

Dave,

The left end is the anchor point so that if I change the length via the tool bar, it remains that starting point and the position of the right end is moved.

This is the same for changing the geometry of a Curve. Plus with Curve, the direction is always to the right (I think this should be an option such as with Easements).

Come to think of it, Straight Flex should be treated the same way (it's straightness should be locked).

This would put Flex track in two basic categories:
a: Flex - do what I want with it.
b: Geometric Flex - locked geometry unless overridden by user

Paul
Paul
CEO of the PB&J RR

David

@Paul,

Yes, that is true. As soon as you use one of the flex functions, the original left hand side is the starting point.
In case of curves, you can simply flip it if it's the wrong way around (as you probably know already).

Locking the shape for (any) flex track might be a good idea. Thanks for that!

David.

Jeff

Yes, there is a case where locking flex would be a real help (besides working with easements)- When you have a curve set up to fit in a space, then stick another piece of flex on the end and start shaping THAT, it can sometimes really mess up the previous curve. This is really critical when working the hairy edge of a minimum radius curve.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

Mentioned that before: disconnect the piece that is not to be moved/distorted from the piece that is to be shaped after aligning that piece than reconnect. Works like a charme and things stay as they were designed. Now if we could do same with elevations wouldn't I be in Heaven!  ;) ;)
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Jeff

So... what you're saying is that right-clicking the piece not to be moved and choosing Freeze would save you some hassle, especially if it also froze the height/slope? And in your example above, what happens to the shapes when you connect the two; do they stay the same as you set them?
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

Ah! In other words, you don't know! Ok...

:D :D :P

RhB_HJ

Certainly I know, use it every day.  ::) ;D
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

fotoflojoe

Ah hah!

No wonder I was having problems, I was clicking on the wrong entity!
Increasing the end point's size did the trick.

Thanks David!

Quote from: David on March 31, 2012, 09:36:00 AM
To position it make sure you click the endpoint, not the control point.
The control point is a '+'. The endpoint looks a bit like an arrow. So that's the one you need.

If it's difficult to click it, go to the settings tab to increase the endpoint size (or decrease the control point size).

David.