News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Lionel FasTrack errors

Started by Stone Rhino, May 14, 2012, 09:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stone Rhino

Hi, I ran across this product and must say I like it. Its simple and zero nonsense.

Doodling around with the program, I've produced some peculiar problems with Lionel's FasTrack. All three of the attached layouts technically dont work in this program, but two of which are Lionel packaged track sets.

The double loop should be perfect. Its off by half an inch in two places on the outer loop.

BritsTukker

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry, but you don't seem to have attached the track plans so we can't look at the problems...

Stone Rhino

Oops! Terribly sorry about that!

8-Loop is one that is commonly sold on ebay. A friend of mine bought one and it fits perfect. I'm guessing that there is a bit of "skew" that you can do to the real thing to make it work. This uses nothing but 36 inch curves and has a half an inch gap in one place.

Twice Around is sold with Lionel's newest Texas Special set. That is the plan straight from the sets manual. Two places dont mate up, one overlaps, the other doesnt even reach.

Double Loop with 4 switches just basicly confirmed my suspisions that something was amiss. Outside is 48 inch, while the inside is 36 inch. Switches are 36 inch.

Stone Rhino

Ok, it seems that little gap exaggerates as larger radius turns are used in parallel.

This shows that the outside 72 inch has almost a 1 inch gap. All switches are identical and are linked by the 36 inch interior turn.

I just noticed that this should probably be put in the "Problems" area.

RhB_HJ

SR,

Welllll it's just like the real track that you lay on the floor - you wiggle and fudge! Those decrepancies result most likely from inaccuracies of the measurement provided - I doubt that they provide data that goes down to ± 0.001"

Anyway  one can fix the connection problem by jiggling the track - disconnect one point and rotate in 1/4º increments. Works like a charme .... however is it worth the effort? Not in my book, the track when built will connect just fine.

Sample of connection correction attached.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Stone Rhino

I figured as much, but the twice around really concerned me as it didnt even get close.

RhB_HJ

But if you delete and add some components it works.

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Stone Rhino

Yup, thats correct, however, let me show you the pdf from lionel.

http://www.lionel.com/products/finder/ProductDetail.cfm?ProductNumber=6-30142&CatalogUID=9FE3047F-EE66-41FC-1451DFE4B99B2EAA&PageID=2024

And here is the manual with layout directions. It is located on page 5.
http://www.lionel.com/media/servicedocuments/6148730142250TheTexanReadytoRunFreightSet.pdf

I am attempting to duplicate it using the parts lionel says to use as I am short only 3 or 4 specific pieces. More so, I wanted to ensure that the program is properly measuring lengths. The dealer here gets very miffed when you bring stuff back because you made a mistake.

RhB_HJ

I'll give that a whirl later on.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

You'll find that while Lionel reports some very specific dimensions in their manuals, reality isn't quite so neat. In other words, AnyRail uses real measured dimensions rather than 'as-designed engineering' measurements. In some cases, this involves the author going out and buying actual track parts to measure the sizes. In some cases, AR users will measure the parts and pass along the data. In the end, it can result in cases like this one with Lionel. Us long-time users have seen this happen too many times, with too many manufacturers, to be shocked. Unless you already have the Lionel on hand, your best move is to choose a track system with flex track in it. Flex track makes it very easy to deal with any little issues like yours.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

@ Jeff,

You know what FasTrack is intended for? Quick assembly of elements to build a layout to run some trains. No muss, no fuss and in this case certainly no flex track.  ::) ::)

SR

Attached is the Twice around with standard Lionel components out of the AR library. It all fits, but you best make a list of which components are actually used.
And .... no, I didn't wiggle, jiggle or fudge anything, it just fits!

If you're up to it, you could try it with those other track arrangements, I have a feeling you'll find the same.  ;) :D
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

"No muss, no fuss and in this case certainly no flex track.  ::) ::)"

Which is why I recommended seeking another track system. Somehow I have a little thing against temporary layouts... :)
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

Tsk, tsk, you of all people should be in love with anything that is snap track.  :P :P you could build a layout throughout the house as long as you pack everything away before supper. Imagine the possibilities!  ;D ;D ;D
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

Yes, you wouldn't think that a 15 year old granddaughter could fill the house up with CD's, video games, friends, noise, and snacks, would you? Yet it seems to happen too often for comfort. If only she had followed my lead when I tried to point her to trains as good toys for a girl... :(

Stone Rhino

I sadly have no way to make a permanent layout. Space is limited to 6x10 in the living room, so I have to get creative to keep any sort of interest with my nephew.

Personally, I love this FasTrack compared to the 027 and 031 tin stuff. We were deathly afraid to let the boy handle it for fear of either lead poisoning or getting cut by it. Even I am getting leary of it.

The only real thing I'm lacking is the crossovers, 1.75", and 1.38" sections. Some of the sections are starting to wear out from all the sessions, but that may be because its not getting taken apart properly. In all, it just looks darn good.