News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

New Track plan Kato Unitrack n gauge tell me what you think feel free to suggest

Started by andywsr, June 05, 2012, 03:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andywsr

please notice some of the joints appear not connected. they are connected as far as i can tell, but the software seems to disagree ( any suggestions David?) This is a modern era layout using HST's, DMU's and modern freight.

The whole layout has been planned out ground level due to space consessions and is DCC operation.

Running potential and interest is fine not quite sure on scenery though. There are no non-scenic sections.

The layout is in the corner of a bedroom against a wall hence the "L" shape. Station is set at back of layout to prevent my kids wrecking it!

I'm planning on using a static decoder on some of the points.

I so far have purchased and roughly assembled the 4 main loops.I haven't got any of the Sidings or Dock area (in Red) yet

Your comments, suggestions and modifications are very welcome

David

Hi Andy!
The track doesn't connect because of the height difference between the endpoints.
It seems you created some slopes that don't work out well.

To level all the track, triple click it to select all, click 'Set height' on the Ribbon, and set a height of 0 in the dialog.
When you've done that, the track will connect.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Jeff

Andy,

What you have there is what we typically see in a first effort from European (especially British) model railroaders just starting out-the Dreaded Racetrack Effect. It's usually typified by concentric loops and an overall symmetrical look. I would really suggest, at a minimum, moving one of the stations (probably the interior one) around to the front, where it is further away visually from the other one. I realize that at this time you have a Mini Monster issue. Consider buying some Plexiglass or other tough transparent plastic and screwing that to the accessible edges of the layout bench. Sand the edges and round the corners. This provides excellent protection without blocking the view at all.

Your other issue is going to be reaching that back corner. Unless you're about 7'6" or can hang from the ceiling like an ape, you may not have the arm length to deal with derails, etc. Also, I would suggest putting your motorized turnouts in that area, as trying to lean over scenery to work the points could cause bodily injury.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

Quote from: Jeff on June 05, 2012, 05:12:22 PM
Andy,

What you have there is what we typically see in a first effort from European (especially British) model railroaders just starting out

Interesting observation, especially since I have read a few posts on a specific NA forum where someone tries to recreate his TYCO HO set-up in G scale.   :-X  :-X  ::)

@ Andy,

When it comes to suggestions I'm much better at them when I know a bit about the intent and purposeof a design. How about giving us  a bit more on that, please?   ;) :)

You'll be amazed at how quickly we can get rid of a lot of track and have a lot more scenery while increasing the general interest.  :o  :D
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

andywsr

Thanks, David for the tip, hadn't checked for height difference.

Jeff, yes I know it looks like a train set ;D I'm trying to get as much running as possible and have a separate area for shunting and some cameo scenes. The way it is at the moment I can run 4 trains simultaneously and do shunting without fear of disaster.

I've come down from OO to N so while the tracks and trains are in N Gauge my brain is still in OO. So Im planning country lanes as big as motorways and line side huts you could park a coach in!

RhB, the intent is pretty much as above a modern image layout, not end to end as I can't then just let It run unattended to suit my current stock which is
Dapol FGW Class 43 HST
Farish class 60 Transrail Alexander Graham Bell
Farish 350 silver link 4 car EMU
Farish Class 47 Intercity Titan
6x rail freight wagons and 4x intercity swift livery coaches.

I was going to run the outer loops as a rise and fall, as I had on my previous OO layout, but it simply won't work on this.

The two passing loops on the inner lines have the Kato Island platforms in them.
The large Grey rectangle represents the Kato Suburban station.
the rectangle in front of that represents the station road plate. I am however not going to purchase this as it takes up too much space.

I am no great artist or scratch builder and there seems to be a lack of ready made buildings for N Gauge.

I'm also a fussy old git and if I don't like the look of something I scrap it.

I know I've done things in the wrong order. I.e bought the tracks and trains before the planning but I'm sure I'm not alone in that one!   :D

PS David when is the iPad app coming out?

Jeff

"Interesting observation, especially since I have read a few posts on a specific NA forum where someone tries to recreate his TYCO HO set-up in G scale.   :-X  :-X  ::)"

That would be 'entertaining', to put it mildly. Purely as an exercise in "what can happen next?", of course. ;D

Anyway, Andy, if you look around online at places like www.walthers.com you'll find that there are huge lots of N scale scale buildings and scenery available. On the other hand, N scale scratch building is not at all as hard as you might think. The buildings, etc. are smaller, so things like heavy card stock and balsa can be used to build nearly anything. Also, you can get away with a little less fine detail, since people couldn't see it without a magnifying glass. You will run into a few people who regularly carry one with them, but I guarantee that your kids won't be among that number.
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

andywsr

Your other issue is going to be reaching that back corner. Unless you're about 7'6" or can hang from the ceiling like an ape, you may not have the arm length to deal with derails, etc. Also, I would suggest putting your motorized turnouts in that area, as trying to lean over scenery to work the points could cause bodily injury.
[/quote]

Hi Jeff,

I'm 6'3"  and the boards are only 2' off the floor. I was going to make a piece of scenery flat o I could put a and on it and lean over if I needed to.

The two passing loops with the scissor crossing in on the turquoise section of track is a small fiddle yard.

The beige and yellow boards are removable, the green and pink are fixed.

I know I'm trying to fit a quart into a pint pot but I've seen so much more in layouts half the size of mine so it must be possible. I just can't figure out how.

Mike from CT

If it's largely for the kids to run trains, I really don't see any problems.  The only change I might make is moving the scissors crossover in the middle of the fiddle yard to the right of the yard (see red oval for new location) to give yourself a bit more room and flexibility to fiddle and shunt after the kids go to bed at night.

andywsr

Thanks Mike

yes that's food for thought.

I have considered losing the fiddle yard all together if it will make the scenery easier.

I'm good at looking at other peoples layouts and offering suggestions but useless at doing my own. That's why i tend to do things in the wrong order. I need to physically see it to see if it's going to work

I notice my plan has been downloaded 16 times now! Are there 16 people revising my layout? Let's hope so  ;D

Jeff

16 people? Possible, but not likely. I'm not one of the modifiers, since I'm allergic to Kato Unitrack. I still think that you may have trouble reaching that back corner. I'm not sure being 2 feet off the ground won't help you keep small hands off the trains and it won't make the layout look good, but you have your reasons.

Mike from CT

Quote from: andywsr on June 06, 2012, 03:13:30 PM
I notice my plan has been downloaded 16 times now! Are there 16 people revising my layout? Let's hope so  ;D

Maybe 14 people.  I'm lazy and rather than find the copy I downloaded before, I keep re-downloading it (3 times so far). ::)

BritsTukker

I downloaded it to have a look at, but I'm not attempting a revision but would offer some ocmments.

- not having a turntable, a 'Y' or any reversing loop means you can't turn round locos or any part or whole trains. This would certainly be a problem for me.
- when you say the yellow and beige boards are removable, are you implying they can be disconnected and moved to gain access or what? As drawn, they can't be shuffled to reconfigure the layout as you generally can with a portable system.
- what ages of children are you trying to cater for? Even releatively small kids will soon get bored with trains just going round and round.
- if you dumped the fiddle yard, there wouldn't be much to interest anyone.
- I see you included a water feature. I'm working on my own system to include a canal with a lock and some intermodal facilities (rail <> road and rail <> barge), but I'm having real problems as much of the canal system in UK only supports the 6'10" standard narrow boats, and containers are 8' wide. I haven't resolved this one yet.

Have fun!

Jeff

@BrittsTukker- I don't know about the area you intend modeling, but here in the US, there are actually three standards- 40'x8 container, 20x8 container, and road-standard 53'x102"(x13'6" high). All three are handled at your average intermodal terminal, usually with the same equipment. After all, they all get lifted off their respective railroad cars and either driven off-site or dropped on the appropriate size trailer frame and driven off. Obviously your prototype shippers have solved any size issues. What did they do to get around the size issue?

andywsr

Im trying to satisfy my needs as a modeller and my youngest who's 6, my oldest daughter (9) now has an interest in horses rather than trains. Trains are cheaper

No Y or turntable has been included as it would take up too much space. The boards are removable for adding additional wiring, as different parts change, and to allow any changes to be made in the future without having to destroy things. I also don't like soldering upside down!

Jeff,

Your road standard size containers would be illegal over here. The biggest we go is 45' x 8'. Something 53' long would be Special Type goods.( i'm a trucker by the way for DHL) So I would imagine they don't come over here. If they did they would have to go by rail or be transhipped onto smaller vehicles.

Ive attachede an ammendment. which gives a bigger station and more room in the middle for scenery. Better or worse.... tell me what you think

BritsTukker

@jeff
Containers come in 20',30',40' and 45' lengths but they're all the same width of 8'. Your 'road standard' would not be allowed on our roads (UK or Europe). Here in NL the canals are wide and there is a lot of canal traffic of all sorts. In the UK, the canals were built by the Victorians and have largely been abandoned for freight traffic, so they haven't solved the size issue and about a quarter of the canal network is closed to container traffic. The narrow canals are now virtually used only for pleasure craft, and some of them are in poor condition, although they're gradually being restored.

@andy
Horses are certainly the more expensive hobby, but trains can drain the exchequer pretty quickly too.
I agree with all the others who have said you're going to have trouble reaching the whole fiddle yard at the top. I would personally still include a reversing loop somewhere. It will be interesting to see what you're planning for roadways, vehicle access to the docks etc. and if you're putting in level crossings or bridges, as there's not a lot of spare room on the left side.
Can you mark up the drawing with things like the access door(s) to the room, windows and the like?