News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

New Track plan Kato Unitrack n gauge tell me what you think feel free to suggest

Started by andywsr, June 05, 2012, 03:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Ah, but, BT, try riding an N scale train to the nearest food market some time! :) Being on the edge of Amish country, it's something I can see any day but Sunday (the horse, not the model train!).

As far as the containers are concerned, we don't export our road trailers. I'm supposing there are trans-shipment centers where the contents are swapped, if they haven't been shipped in containers to start with. It sounds like the British canals are in the same state as many of our railroads, which is a crying shame. I can guess that with most governments already going broke we will all be hunting for a horse soon enough.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

andywsr

Yes indeed,

Canals killed off the horse and cart, trains killed the canals and trucks killed the trains.

Canals over here are now mainly for the leisure industry as opposed to commercial traffic.

ive taken out one of the sidings in the dock are and included a Turntable. see the attached ammendment

Jeff

Ow! 5 feet from the nearest access to the back corner. Even I wouldn't try that... :)

The layout, however may be about as good as you can fit into that space. Especially if you present the fiddle yard as an interchange with a larger railway. If there were a little more space, I would suggest adding an industry or two.
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

andywsr

andywsr

These are two photos so you can see my space issue, notice the low ceiling, approx 8" above the boards on the left.

andywsr

Yes i do know left from right before any one corrects me, the low ceiling was on my left as i was typing. ::)

Jeff

Well, it's obvious you won't be building ay mountains on the layout :).

BritsTukker

So now we know! I really do sympathise with your space problems. Seems like there's no real alternative to growing very long arms, orang-utan style.
I have personally only worked in HO and OO, so have no experience of the Kato Unitrack. From what I've read in reviews (and what Jeff says on this forum), I'm glad I don't have to go there, but it looks like you're stuck with N-scale in your situation. I hope the guys here can give you enough ideas to satisfy you and the kids. There are a lot of very accomplished N-scale designers/builders around here, but I think I can only give moral support in this situation.

Cheers.

RhB_HJ

Andy,

How about taking a different tack e.g. looking at your space as x square feet (m²) within that basic footprint? Suggestions  coming up.       
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

RhB_HJ

Andy,

Here goes

Since you "really" only need one double track main to have trains chase the one in front of them, that's what I reduced it to. Since any trackage used for switching (shunting) is much handier within easy reach that's where I tried to put it. Since a perfectly flat track plan gets boring really quickly I folded a dogbone.The "Commuter stop" in the back gets only three tracks. Since you're running LH modethat track is mainly used for the trains that shuttle between that stop, thriough the lower station back to that stop - approaching from the other direction and then heading back. The Industrial tracks at the lower station are on purpose divided betwenn North and South of the main. Doing the switching without getting in the way of the passenger traffic will be the challenge. The tracks inside the loop can be used for whatever storage (staging) - again easy to get at!

Plenty of room left to add city scenery with a bit of country on the RH side. I'd suggest building the the scenery on styrofoam elements that allow you to pop them in and out of place to work on - adding all the details!

That's my 4 cents, as far as the track plan is concerned - according to my Leitmotiv: "Less can be more!"   
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

andywsr

Thanks RhB that certainly looks a lot better than what I have at the moment. I'll download it and give it a go :)

RhB_HJ

You're welcome.

Added a few of the descriptions.

The grade of the LH loop is just under 3%, the one on the RH side is 2%.
The way I see it: the main station should be a ground level with the infamous many steps of a pedestrian overpass to get to the platforms. Grades in the track (embankments, viaducts and bridges) along with rising scenery from front to back will give the impression of more real estate than is actually there. Having tall trees along the main line will give another scenic devider e.g. to camouflage the 180º curves.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

"according to my Leitmotiv: "Less can be more!"

Hmm. I'm wondering if we checked the materials list for both layouts if maybe we would find that more is more? :D

RhB_HJ

Jeff,

Be my guest!
The main incentive was demonstrating that even on a small footprint one can do more than just ovals. With enough room left for some plausible scenery and structures, along with good access where access will often be required. No to mention the different switching possibilities which are accessable while the passenger trains are on the merry-go-round in both directions.

Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

Oh, I agree that your suggested plan is a good one. I would be surprised if it wasn't. I just poked a humorous finger at your leitmotiv (isn't that just locomotive, misspelled?) :D