News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

New Track plan Kato Unitrack n gauge tell me what you think feel free to suggest

Started by andywsr, June 05, 2012, 03:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhB_HJ

Yeah, yeah no problem. Actually I was waiting for you to comment on the lack of engine service facilities.  ;D ;D
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Jeff

I suppose there must be somewhere one could throw in a single-track enginehouse :). What stopped me was the fact that Andy has to keep the entire layout simple and sturdy at this point. As his kids get older, all kinds of things become more possible...
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

andywsr

Been working on Hans's plan for the last few days now. There are a few problems i found due to the Kato track formations.
they are:
All double track uses concrete ties were as all single track uses wood.

All double track curves are "Superelevated" or banked requring transition pieces at each end.

All viaduct sections have a guard wall along them were as standard double track doesn't.

Kato don't produce the same radius curves in double track as they do in single track.

Not all degrees of curves are available in each Radius i.e 15 degree 315mm Radius but no 15 degree 348mm radius, to make parrallel running curves.

I have attempted (poorly) to address these issues see attached plan there is only 1 bit i can't join up do to the behaviour / design of the transition pieces.

See What you think! 

andywsr

Attached file above is the wrong file. see correct attachment below

RhB_HJ

Hi Andy,

Nice interpretation!  8) That leaves you even more room for scenery and structures.

Yes, having all the right components available in the KATO line-up would be a very nice situation. But KATO isn't going to do that anytime soon, if ever. Their approach is: You don't need more than what we give you.
That's why some of us prefer other track systems - with flextrack whenever possible.
Which reminds me, if I get the time - the weather finally smartened up and I'm busy as a beaver working on the garden layout - I'll design something similar with a different track system.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

andywsr

Yes, I've had to make the station smaller and use some larger radius double curves. Apart from that it's almost unchange.

I now see why people don't use Kato, it's ok for what was intended for which was to be be laid out on the floor then packed up again when you've finished, but not great for modelling.

I've discovered I cAn force fit the track which won't connect so it shouldn't be a problem.

I've also used more of the track I've already got so its going to cost me less money.

The next stage is to price everything up and get all the track.

Then lay it all out and start building

Jeff

Andy,

Keep in mind that Kato makes a transition piece. If you're dead set on staying with the Kato track, you could slot in some flex track from another track system. Yes, it would not look anywhere near the same, but at least you wouldn't be tied hand and foot by Kato's limited offerings.
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

Jeff,

That's like getting half a silk purse, it still resembles a sow's ear.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

Well, I wouldn't have used that part of the pig as an example, but you know how I feel about attempting serious layout work with Kato Unitrack (MR project not withstanding).

andywsr

Jeff, as i've already invested over £500 in unitrack i haven't really got a choice in staying with it.

I genuinely like Hans's plan, and have adapted it to suit the track i've already purchased.

It's what i was after, scenery, and not just tracks and trains. I just couldn't make previous attemepts work. Prototypes where either too big or simply wouldn't work. I tried to use several smaller layouts and link them up but that took up too much space or the track wasn't available as Kato isn't officially marketed in the UK which is why all the publications and instructions are in Japanese.

I'm now working out costs to see were we go from here. Although i may still need orang-u-tang arms, but at least it will only be on plain track so shouldn't present a problem.

I'll keep you updated as to how it's going. I hope to have the boards made by July.

BritsTukker

@andy: "Kato isn't officially marketed in the UK"

M.G.Sharp in Sheffield claim to be an official agent and also say they supply English instructions with everything.....
Have you had any experience with them?

andywsr

Yes,

I phoned them when I first started buying track they had almost nothing I wanted in stock.

I use Buffers Model Railways in Colston Cross, Somerset

Or Traintrax in Lightwater Surrey.

Both Very good

Traintrax is on e-bay but has a website which is considerably cheaper.
Buffers have a good stocks of most things.

Alternatively there is Gauge Master who supply both Buffers and Traintrax or Hattons in Liverpool.

glakedylan

i acquire all my Kato uni-track from "plazajapan" on eBay.
it is the only place i was able to find the 17.6/18.9 superelevated double track curves.
only down side is the concrete ties, but they will be hid in a helix so not a biggie.
give "plazajapan" a try. they ship quickly to USA, i assume the same to elsewhere.
http://myworld.ebay.com/plazajapan/?_trksid=p4340.l2559
peace,
Gary L Lake Dillensnyder

BritsTukker

@andy:
I've never used Kato stuff and I've never dealt with Sharp's.
Buffers (and quite a number of other suppliers) don't keep their website up-to-date, so when you order something you cannot rely on actually getting it (I had this problem with Buffers last week as it happens).
Traintrax is not a company I know.
Hattons seems to have the most reliable website as far as actually having what they say in stock.
I don't deal with Gaugemaster as their prices are generally higher than elsewhere.

I wonder why you chose Kato track in the first place?

Jeff

I can believe it, BritsT. I read first posts from many people who have done the same. It's like a lot of people from the US who go out and buy Bachmann EZ-Track first, THEN go looking for advice on what to do with it. Sadly, this leads to situations like Andy's with his Kato and leaves a trail of broken dreams (to some extent or another) in its wake. There isn't any easy answer and we then end up helping these people as much as possible to enjoy the hobby in spite of initial rough spots.

Of course life would be easier all around if people looked up some friendly advice FIRST, but it seldom seems to happen that way.