News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

2nd attempt at a track plan

Started by boatcaptain, June 19, 2012, 12:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatcaptain

This layout is based on a modern era so old and new stock can be run.  any comments welcome.

Joe
:) :)

Jeff

Welcome to the forums.

Given your very limited space, I don't think you can do a lot more. In the attached mod, I moved an orphaned piece of track in the museum area. I don't know what you intend with that, but I left it on the plan as a possible display track. Then I added a couple more tracks in the yard. You could use the top one as an industrial siding if you want to.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

boatcaptain

Hi Jeff

I don't think you have shown the right attachment it bears no resembalance to my plan.
Regards Joe

RhB_HJ

Joe,

How fixed are you on the PECO track?
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

RhB_HJ

It is always a delight to try and get something else out of a proposal.  ;) ;)  :o

OK Staging (elevation 0) will be underneath the town that the upper station serves - that's the one with the goods yard.

The upper station trackage is on +2" elevation. In order to make switching that yard easier I added a drill track, that allows switching without fouling Track 3 (platform track). Track 1 is the by-pass track; Track 2 is a platform track.

The station adjacent to the Railway museum is on +1" elevation.

I added a bunch of Roco Curved turnouts in order to get the max usable length in the stations and the "from anywhere to anywhere" trackage at the museum station. It could be figure 8 or two separate loops.

That's it from where I sit.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

boatcaptain

Hi HJ

I am staying with Peco track I have added the drill track as you suggested, I have also added a spur bottom left.  I added this in case in future I want to add a small extension or a fiddle yard.

Jeff

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you captain. A group of us has been extraordinarily busy lately. Maybe the weekend will see it less crazy.
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

Hey Jeff, so have most of us. In my case digging in the garden, advancing the progress on the railway.

Now that "Things" are done I can fine tune the survey and adjust the track plan. Rotate a little here, add a large curved turnout there, provide for a view block - can you imagine, even in the garden - and hope that the damn rain stops.

Today's weather forecast (so far right on the money  >:(   >:()

::) ::)
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

@HJ- "In my case digging in the garden, advancing the progress on the railway."

I guess you have. I mistook the area in the top left for a pile of construction debris, but looking closer, I see some track. Maybe this coming winter you can take those white things off the upper line and build a trestle there...

;D

RhB_HJ

He, he, he.

I'll relate the debris comment to SWMBO who is also in charge of landscaping.  :P :P

Now who would build a trestle, when you can build a stone viaduct? But right beside the stone viaduct will be a covered road bridge spanning a dry water course.
It just takes a little longer if it's IIm in the garden, no rushing into things and then having to rebuild anyway. Even though there is an advantage to rushing, by the time you get it right you have lots of experience.  :o  :o   ???
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

"by the time you get it right you have lots of experience"

If I want experience, I can go plant a garden :P ;D

RhB_HJ

The one about the experience applies to most things in life, not just model railroads. Even though model railroads are a more forgiving medium.  :-X :-X
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

Getting back to the original subject of this thread, here is the promised layout, boatcaptain. I added a couple of sidings by way of an industry, fixed one in the museum area, and changed a couple of things around the turntable. All this is explained by notes on the layout itself. I really wish there was room to get creative, but that's out the window, I'm afraid.

RhB_HJ

@ Jeff,

Interesting concept with the longer engine track. I doubt you need that with Brit engines, besides not being able to turn an engine would be a major draw back for fan trips, not to mention a cramped roundhouse/workshop.
Mind you there are prototypes for that, too. Like the CNR 6060 over in Stettler AB, runs tender first to "Big Valley" and normal back to Stettler.

Of course I shot a video of that. Complete with the railway robbery.

http://www.vimeo.com/27022427

And there are two short ones in the closer neighbourhood, too. Odd impression when the come at you tender first.

And adding extra track? Hmmm, I thought there was too much track already. For a reality check you add some structures - the variety that are larger than a biffy!
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

Quote from: RhB_HJ on June 24, 2012, 07:37:21 PM
I thought there was too much track already. For a reality check you add some structures - the variety that are larger than a biffy!

Those are the loading tracks for the biffy factory, didn't I mention that? Not to mention which, the turntable is in a railway museum and will be hosting steam engines. I assure you that there are large ones of those, having seen quite a few myself. Wander around next to a 2-10-0 sometime and you will start to feel rather small :).

I don't think that the couple of added tracks represent a major change. I simply wanted to add a reason or two for the railroad to exist. Unless, that is, it's like your idea of a great railroad and all sources and customers are off-layout, represented by staging... :P :D ;D