News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Compressing Google Earth Image for Models

Started by chaz, July 18, 2012, 06:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glakedylan

Quote from: RhB_HJ on July 24, 2012, 04:43:43 AM
His comment was: "Isn't it amazing how you saw this (the closing) coming all those years ago."  ;)  :)

HJ...that is a great story! And, good for you with the "memos"...you never know...except when it seems you were the one who knew years before! ;-)
Thanks for sharing!
Gary

Jeff

It used to be a PDA, but modern smartphones are really great for it. A simple notebook app can keep you from doing all kinds of stupid things :D "Yes, honey, of COURSE I remembered the potatoes and the chicken!"....
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

Since I'not smart enough for a SmartPhone I rely on my memory and lists. Which I generally remember where I put them and also to take them along. ::) ??? ::)
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Jeff

HJ, I can see you're not married. If you were, you'd have someone around to make things exciting by "cleaning up" any and all messes created by people who leave piles of lists lying around! :D ;D
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

No, I'm not married. Both my equal half and I believe that making the same mistake twice is very bad practice. :o :P :P We leave that to other people!

Now on those lists, mine are in a secure place where I find them and the other lists in this house are of no concern. You know it's about that equal opportunity stuff.  :o ::) Or if you don't know it would be high time! :o :D
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

chaz

I mentioned earlier that the Beaumont, heavy switching, layout was a work in progress...well it' progressed.

I re-defined this layout as one of the smallest Liberty Ship re-supply ports on the Gulf of Mexico.  Starting with the 1944 USGS map, and reducing it to meet my budget, I ended up here.  Liberty Ships are 441 feet long.  Dock 1 is 413 feet long.  Dock 2 is slightly shorter.

This layout is all about material handling.  Receiving it, putting it into temporary storage or moving it directly to a dock.  The Arrival/Departure Yard belongs in Beaumont, but completes the operation plan until Beaumont is completed.

I don't know much about material handling in 1944, but expect there are some tracked steam cranes and a lot of stevedores.  Even though the entire surface of this peninsula is hard packed from use, I added reinforced 28 foot wide roads for the heavy cranes to move about.  I'm sure there is stuff piled everywhere.

Chaz

MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

Jeff

Cranes yes, steam cranes no. End of story. They had the cranes mounted on 4-legged platforms, just like they do today. If I had to assume anything, assume that they were diesel powered, especially that close to big refineries. The fuel probably cost them 10 cents a gallon, tops. Sure, the cranes LOOKED old-fashioned. They had curved corrugated iron for roof material. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the operators didn't patch any holes in it with chewing gum :). I've seen photos of them in various old image banks and they didn't look like they spent much money on paint.