News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Recent files in Windows 7 Start Menu

Started by Nick the Cabin Boy, September 10, 2012, 05:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick the Cabin Boy

Since I downloaded/installed v5.1.3 this morning, the Windows 7 Start Menu no longer gives me the arrow to the list of recently used files.  I now have to open AR and then open the file from the list there.

I've tried on a couple of different files, but the list just doesn't happen when I go to use AR again.

I hope you see what I'm getting at!

Nick, in Tasmania
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

David

Hi Nick,

The list will be empty at first, but should fill up again as you open various files.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Nick the Cabin Boy

Hi David,

Yes, that's what I thought would happen, but it doesn't!

I've opened several files, and they all show up within AR when I click "File", but they're still not showing up in the Start Menu.  I even restarted my PC, but to no avail.

It was working fine with 5.1.2, so something has happened with the installation of 5.1.3.

Nick
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

Nick the Cabin Boy

New development!

I just created a new file in AR5, and I now get it showing on the Start Menu.  So the problem appears to be related to AR4 files.  All my previous files were created in AR4, but modified in AR5 - this one was created and modified in AR5.  It is, however, the only file showing on the Start Menu.

Nick

Nick the Cabin Boy

I'm still having the same problem!

I have a plan which I'm 99% sure was started in AR5, but has gone through several "save as" incarnations, so it may have originally been in AR4.  Now that all my furniture has arrived, I can go back to it (it's in Setrack N, sits on desk until I can decide on how to use the new room).  So I thought I would pin it to the Windows 7 recent files list.  No can do! 

First, I just opened and closed it - didn't show next time.
Then, opened, saved, closed - same.
Next, opened, changed, saved, closed - same.
Again, opened, saved as different name, closed - it's there!
Finally, opened another old file, saved as same name, closed - it's there.

There is obviously something wrong somewhere - I don't want to have to remember to "save as" all the plans I might want to get to easily just to make sure they show up.

Nick (formerly of Tasmania, now of Victoria)

David

Hi Nick,

They do show up in the recent file list of AnyRail itself, don't they?

David.

Nick the Cabin Boy

Yes, David, they do, so I suppose it's quite likely not actually an AR problem.  I will have a play and see if something like Word does the same.

Nick

Nick the Cabin Boy

Okay, I just opened a file in Word, did nothing to it and then closed it.  It now appears on the Start menu recent files for Word.

Nick

Nick the Cabin Boy

I just installed v5.9.1, and I still have the same problem!

It's obviously something to do with Windows 7, not AR, but the quick solution seems to be:

1.  Before installing a new version of AR, bring up your list of recent files, and write down the ones you want to show in future.

2.  Install new AR.

3.  Open AR, then File Open one of the files.

4.  Save As, with same name, and say yes to overwriting.

5.  Repeat 3 & 4 until all required files dealt with.

Next time you open AR, all files will show in the list, and you can then pin them to it.

Note (if you didn't already know) that using CCleaner or CleanUp or any other like program will clear any unpinned files from the list.

Nick (glad he's not in Tasmania any more - snow down to 200m, major roads where we were all closed)

Nick the Cabin Boy

As a matter of interest, I have just come across another small problem.

I have been working on a plan, which has LOTS of houses, in two areas.  I decided that it would be a good idea to make another version with a more rural feel (same trackwork).

So, I opened the existing file, and re-saved it as xxxx Urban, and closed it.  xxxx Urban did not appear on the Start list when I went to open it again.  I had to open AR, then load the file, do another Save as, overwriting the file, and close.  THEN, the new file appeared on the Start list and I was able to pin it.

I saved the other version as xxxx Rural, and had to do it all again!

Nick

David

@Nick: we do nothing specific for this in the software. We use the standard Windows way to save files, assuming that the OS knows when and how to put it on the Start menu.

I'll take a look if there's any difference between 'Save' and 'Save as'.

David.

Nick the Cabin Boy

@David,

My stepson, who is Microsoft certified, was told of the problem during his nightly phone call, and after rabbiting on in gobbledygook (to me) for a minute or two, he explained in words of one syllable that it must be an AR problem.  As I defer to him in matters computing, and to you in matters AnyRail, I'm just going to sit back now and see what happens!

Nick

David

Hi Nick,

I've just been retesting this, and all files I open appear in the Windows (7) start menu, that is, behind the right arrow next to the AnyRail logo. Also, after a 'Save as', like with your Rural file, they all appear on the Start list.

It might be that we're talking about different things, but I simply don't seem to be able to reproduce this problem...  :-\

David.

Nick the Cabin Boy

Hi David,

In that case, it looks as though it's a problem with my PC (or Windows, or Gremlins, or something), so it I'll just have to live with it.

Anyway, I'm going to be too busy for the next couple of weeks or more - our landlord has had enough of living with his parents (he says, more likely they're fed up with him) and has given us 60 days to move out.  We've found a new place, with the help of the managing agent, subject to the owner's approval, but now we have to pack!  Best thing is, this house has a proper train room (about 15' x 10') in the back garden!

Nick

Nick the Cabin Boy

In between packing and running round like a headless chook, I have been doing a bit of AR, now that I know the size of the new room (12'x9').  But the problem we have been discussing seems to have got worse since the latest update.

To start with, I lost all the pinned files of the Start Menu, as has been happening for a while.  So I did my usual routine to get them back.  Then I created a new file, by adapting a plan to fit the new room, and saving it under a different name.  I then went off to do as I was told for a few hours!

When I went to re-open the new plan, it was not on the Start Menu.  So I just opened AR without a file.  Then I clicked on File, to bring up the list of recent files.  My new file was not there! (but the source file was on top of the list).  To open the new file, I had to File Open and find the file in its folder.  I opened it, saved as, and closed AR.  Now the new file appears on the Start Menu.

This has happened more than once since the update, where I have opened files that I haven't looked at for a while (but were designed using a room about this size) - they don't show on the Recent Files list in AR unless I save them.  Surely it shouldn't matter whether I actually do anything to the file; it should still be in the list.

Any ideas, please?

Incidentally, I get asked to save when all I have done is change the Zoom ratio, but not if I have left it alone.

Nick (soon to be 1300m due East of where he is now)