News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

User Objects in Status Bar

Started by Nick the Cabin Boy, September 12, 2012, 01:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick the Cabin Boy

Not sure if this counts as a problem or a wish, but here goes, anyway!

To my mind, the status bar shows too much detail for user objects.  I have created some shapes which are outlines of Peco turnouts (I use them to denote turnouts that must operate together, as Sections are not what I want for this purpose).  So, having filled in the data for the object, with a short name and description, I don't think I need both to show on the status bar.  I should also already know the scale, and I know the manufacturer, because I just plucked the item out of a file of that name.  So I would think that all I really need to see is the name, and perhaps the part number.

I can understand that a person using a downloaded object file may need more information, or may find that the way the data is recorded is not how they like it, but if the data is editable once downloaded, that problem can be overcome.

So, I'm thinking that one way to achieve what I want would be to have check boxes for each data field.  Perhaps a right-click on the title bar where the file contents are displayed could bring up the field list, and away you go.

Nick, in Tasmania
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N