News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Flexible straight so far then curve

Started by donone, October 29, 2008, 08:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donone

Trial user (and so beginner)
Is it possible to pick a point along a straight Flex track, mark it and then bend a curve between that point and the end?
My problem is that a platform is shorter than 1 metre flex. I would like to keep the platform straight, then curve the track only after leaving the platform, preferably without having to cut the track into two.
I have found it frustrating to try to do this.
Thank you
You only stop learning when you die.
Sometimes I think I am dead.

David

I'm afraid that it's technically not possible to do this.
This is caused by the internal mathematical representation of the flex (a Bezier curve).

You can move the control points in a straight line by pressing SHIFT while dragging them, but there will always be a slight curve once the rest of the flex is not completely straight as well.

If you move the control point belonging with the straight end of the curve as far to the curved end as possible (up until the control point belonging with the curved end) to get an approximation.

Your best option is to use a straight piece of flex and connect that to the curved piece, as you suggested.
Creating a piece of straight of the right length is easy when you press the SHIFT key while moving the control points.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

donone

Thank you David for coming back on that. I have not tried shortening the Flex but appreciate that it would work as you suggest. So may I presume that in real life, I need not actually cut the track (except its total combined length), I could put a pin at the start of the required curve and then curve it?
So I think you are suggesting that your method within the program is simply a drawing restriction and as such will not affect the final outcome.

Many thanks for that.

David

Indeed, it's a restriction in the drawing facilities of the track.

I know from my own experience, that when laying flex track, you'll often find that you need the outlining, but will not necessarily follow the exact cuttings as defined in the plan. Sometimes the lengths of flex leftovers that you have are just too long or too short, and it turns out to be more economical to cut it in another way than foreseen.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

donone