News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

first layout: Ho Scale

Started by cbart6690, December 04, 2012, 02:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbart6690

started planning my first layout, I'm still limited by the free license but working on that soon, i have a 10ft by 10ft room in the basement with limited obstructions, planing on building 36"bench work in a c shape any suggestions are greatly appreciated

I will be using atlas code 83 as i have a bin full already

glakedylan

greetings and welcome!

first and perhaps foremost is the issue of reach. maximum standard of reach from edge of benchwork inward is 30". when track is beyond that reach there is a need to provide access through benchwork and subroadbed to be able to reach all track. murphy's law is always at work. derailments and other needs to access often happen where the arm and hand cannot reach.

second, what kind of locomotives and cars do you plan on running. 18" radius curves will limit that to shorter of either or both. is it possible to make more space for the 90+ radius curves at each end to expand the radius?

36" from floor will most likely provide a birds-eye-view. if that is what you want, fine and no problem. in seated position, 40-42" usually raises things to eye level...standing 60-62"...depending on height, of course.

i hope this helps and provides some direction at this point.

enjoy! and again, welcome to AR and the forum...

peace,
Gary L Lake Dillensnyder

cbart6690

i am probably going with around 38 - 40 for height to give a little more reach over room when standing,  most of the benchwork will be 36" wide but i can build out to accommodate a larger diameter turnaround at both ends, and i may shorten the loop and make one end a yard

i do plan on adding a 2nd main to the loop and running both passenger and freight

glakedylan

many seem to find it helpful to hide 90 degree radius turns and smaller radius track in such within a tunnel...providing access within the tunnel from underneath.

rule of thumb i was taught (not sure how many follow it) is 3" of track radius in curve for every 1" of car length in scale. most passenger cars in HO scale look best on 36 to 48" radius. many might run o.k. on 22" radius, but then, again, the tunnel through a mountain adds to making the view more eye friendly. on smaller radius curves (under 36") truck mounted couplers and thickness of diaphram mock ups are often the things that affect tracking. body mount couplers and thick diaphrams require wider radius to provide space between cars in curve.

best wishes and enjoy!

respectfully
Gary L Lake Dillensnyder

cbart6690

as a 2nd thought i just came up with would be to wrap the room and create a drawbridge to let people in and out

that way i could create more flow, and also have room for a larger yard

glakedylan

there is certainly a school of thought that a shelf like layout around the walls of the room is so much better for many reasons. i personally think it is a wise choice. it surely allows for broader radius curves and the longest stretch of mainline track.

there are a variety of ways different people handle a fold up or fold down (even open like a gate) entry point.

a site to check in keeping with this thinking:
http://www.layoutvision.com/id28.html

sincerely,
Gary L Lake Dillensnyder