News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Rotation clockwise seems negative

Started by donone, October 31, 2008, 09:46:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donone

Using the dialog for rotation shows that rotating clockwise requires a negative number where I would have expected the opposite.
You only stop learning when you die.
Sometimes I think I am dead.

David

Yes you are right. This is a standard in mathematics, so we followed that.
Anti-clockwise rotations are positive.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

donone

Whilst I don't wish to create an argument or appear rude in any way (so please do not take any offence), you may well be right with electric motors and physics vectors but; the generally accepted practice in geometrical programs i.e. rotating photographs, objects in drawing programs and pages in word processors adding a positive number (45 degrees) to an existing position adds the number, thus rotating the object CW from say 0/360 to 45 ((360+45) mod 360) and similarly adding -90 degrees to 0/360 results in CCW rotation to 270 degrees.

Yes you have opted for one of the two choices as is your right, I am not saying you are wrong, I am simply saying it is not normal in these circumstances. Maybe there is a fine line between calling this a drawing program or CAD proper, that is outside my ability. I am only trying to be helpful in pointing out my observation that after many years of using such programs the unexpected happened.

David

Don't worry! Each and every comment is welcome! Our only goal is to improve the software and make it easier to use.

In this particular case:

I know it might seem a bit anti-intuitive, and indeed, one might argue about the exact sort of program this is.
What we do in these cases (as it is a Windows program for sure!), we try to follow whatever Microsoft does in their Office suite.
If you rotate a picture in Word or PowerPoint, it goes anti clockwise with a positive angle. So we simply followed that.

Hope this explains it a bit,

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

donone

You are of course right David and I apologise.
A little more research confirmation in future (think twice speak once, comes to mind).
I always look upon zero at 12 o'clock and +90 deg as 3 o'clock, 270 as 9 o'clock.
I don't know what planet I have been on, but something is wrong in my mind. (And I haven't visited Australia!)