News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

N gauge coal loading station shelf layout

Started by Arundle, April 10, 2013, 11:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arundle

Hello all,

This is the most recent (of many) iterations for an N gauge layout which will most likely be the first N gauge layout I build. It's supposed to be a small colliery loading station, with some bits of scenery (mostly the Bachmann Scencraft Hampton Heath Colliery buildings) placed in the free spaces. I'll most likely settle on the placement during early build stages. Rolling stock will be mineral wagons along with: a NCB class 14, from the discontinued 'Colliery Classic' Graham Farish set; an old NCB G.F. austerity class 0-6-0, if I can get hold of one and possibly a larger diesel, such as a class 20.

The layout is designed to have wagons shunted from behind through the coal loader into the loaded wagon storage, with the return rail next to the coal loader used to get the loco to behind the trucks with the extras being stored in the sidings. These sidings are also used to help break up larger trains into small enough sections in order to allow them to be put through the coal loader.

The layout length is fixed by the length of baseboard available (probably MDF due to the fact I have some excess lying around), while the depth could be increased by a small amount, although I don't feel that this is necessary.

Possible improvements could be a better siding layout, including adding points to allow return running along the sidings. An engine shed could also be included, although I'm not sure where would be the best place to put it for connecting it to the current layout. Also, depending upon which coal loader kit I choose to use, it may be changed to a single road loader, although this would be easy enough change to make to the design.

Any and all constructive criticism welcome.

Jeff

My comment isn't really meant as much criticism as it is constructive. I think you should scrounge a few more bits of OSB and add them in. Not to be covered in track, but used for whatever scenic items you find to be added in the way of things to separate track areas. A H-J will be happy to tell you, there are actual cases of ground where track  is the worst thing to use for a cover planting.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

In order to prevent having the engine that delivers the empties escape through the coal loader, I would add the Red track as the escape. A longer arrival and departure track to breakdown/assemble trains without interfering with the loading at the tipple.

PS  ::) ::) forgot to add the plan, but then I added a bit more.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display