News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

1m square N scale Thomas layout

Started by Allok, May 26, 2013, 02:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allok

The inspiration for this tiny track design came from my Little boy (age 6) while I was designing and testing my own exhibition layout. He showed interest in my trains so I let him have a go. He picked it up quickly, running them smoothly and taking great care. So after spotting the Tomix Thomas and friends items, I thought it might be an idea to design an exhibition track that he could run by himself.

I have a 1m x 1m coffee table with a 150mm cavity, under glass, which should suit this project. Obviously, this is a very tight area to work with but the relatively short wheel bases of Thomas, Percy and James means that I should be able to use some fairly tight curves.

I want to use the Kato Unitrack (again) due to its simplicity and reliability. The layout itself will consist of a simple 2-track loop with 2 sidings. This should allow the operator to run 2 trains simultaneously. The idea being that 1 train can be left running if he wants to play around with the other.

The focal point of the layout is the fictional "Dryaw" Station and the nearby airfield where Harold the helicopter sometimes visits. Other scenery will include authentic buildings, overpasses, trackside equipment and accessories. Since Sodor was modeled on British rail, most of these items can be sourced without difficulty. I have a bit of a "love-hate" relationship with tunnels but these feature quite frequently on the Thomas shows so I have included one. And because derailments almost always occur in tunnels, I have designed a removable section on the top of the hill above the tunnel, which has the advantage of being exchangeable. It's a great place to put a windmill, church or just an open field for when the glass tabletop is in place.

I am really looking forward to having a crack at this project and I believe that it will probably attract more attention than my main one.

RhB_HJ

Yes, Thomas is a big draw at any show that I've been to lately.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display