News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Peco Flexitrack Curves

Started by ivatt, June 26, 2013, 10:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivatt

Hope this is the right place to post this question.

I am new to AnyRail but greatly impressed. I have posted a question about the laying I am planning and got positive feedback.

This time my question is specific to Peco Flexitrack in Any Rail.

I am mainly using Kato Unitrack for the layout (simple to connect and less wiring for points etc.) but this has it's limitations in not being flexible for more complex track plans. To overcome this, especially on curves I am trying to integrate some Peco Flexitrack.

The minimum curve recommended for N gauge is 9" (228mm) radius but many locos, especially steam have a problem with that so it is suggested a minimum of 12 inches (approx 298.5mm) radius is used although the larger the radius the better.

I have looked at the tutorial on using flexitrack but I am still confused.

What settings do I need to be able to create a true 12 inch curve and how do I actually make the curve once I have selected the track from the library.

I tried the settings in the tutorial example but keep getting Out of Bounds error.

On the plan I am preparing some sections of the flexitrack have the red line in the middle indicating the wrong radius curve and this is usually where the section joins the Kato so assume there is some sort of kink at the joint.

Thanks

BritsTukker

Hi, Chris.
No problem:

- open your track plan
- choose the 'settings' tab, then 'Flex'. Set the minimum allowed radius to less then the curve you want to create - in your case you want to use 12" curves (304.8mm), so set the minimum radius to 300mm
- get a length of flex from the library and with it selected but not connected to anything use 'Curve flex' to make a curve of the desired angle and radius. AR will not allow you to create a curve less than the minimum radius you have setup.
Having created the required curve, since it's flex track you can subsequently bend it to a different shape (sometimes accidentally - the 'undo' button comes in handy), and if you bend it to a tighter curve than your specified minimum, the red line will appear in the track to show where the radius is violated.
There is a recently added function, ' Smoothen flex' which allows you to select flex track already in circuit and optimise the curve to fit the situation. This does not mean that the curve will not be too tight, but it does its best to fit within your layout - you may still have to sort the mess out manually afterwards if its too tight for your locos.

Note that some 'too tight' curves may not be a problem - I have some examples coming off my turntable where the curve is too tight, but only over a length of about 25mm and at this point locs are only moving very slowly and it doesn't cause a problem.

Keep experimenting and enjoy yourself. Don't be afraid to ask questions, however simply they may appear.