News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Railway Museum in York, U.K.?

Started by Mike from CT, July 07, 2013, 04:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike from CT

A friend driving from London to his home (outside Glasgow) stopped in York and recommended we stop there next summer.  He mentioned the cathedral and some other spots, but also that it had a huge railway museum.

Anyone know about it?

Thanks.

vistisen

I have not been there for years as I moved to Denmark 20 years ago, but it is the largest rail museum in England. Well worth a visit, but for UK modellers it also has a large online archive with maps, photos timetables and such like.

http://www.nrm.org.uk/

BritsTukker

Quote from: Mike from CT on July 07, 2013, 04:54:20 AM
Anyone know about it?

Absolutely well worth a visit.
I sent you the link to their website a week ago (http://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php/topic,1450.msg14758.html#msg14758) - might have guessed you didn't read it.
Pity you're not there while they've got the six A4's collected together - including the two from NA - one from the US and one from Canada.

Mike from CT

Quote from: BritsTukker on July 07, 2013, 04:16:43 PM
Quote from: Mike from CT on July 07, 2013, 04:54:20 AM
Anyone know about it?

Absolutely well worth a visit.
I sent you the link to their website a week ago (http://www.anyrail.com/forum_en/index.php/topic,1450.msg14758.html#msg14758) - might have guessed you didn't read it.

Mea culpa.  If it helps, I was looking for Scottish lines at the time (Original plans were to stay based in London while we we were there - constantly moving 6 people, (including a six-year old), is not my idea of a vacation.  :(

A friend convinced there was no way to stay in one place for our first trip to Scotland (He's Scottish and, as a Glaswegian (which soundd like some gewgaw that breaks if you drop it) and not a great lover of things Edinburg.  But what won the day is convincing us we had to see the Highlands (not an issue) and couldn't do it as a day trip (which was the issue).

But you did send me to the Harry Potter train (a/k/a "The Jacobite") and that one's definitely on my agenda - if not the rest of the family's (although they're less opposed to it than they are to some of my other "suggestions", once I sold it as "The Harry Potter" train).  Someone else had suggested the overnight to Mallaig, but wandering Mallaig via google earth, it didn't sound like the best place to spend a lot of time (looked too much like tourist stors and commercial operations withi walking distance of the station, anyway).  The Jacobite round trip spends about 90 minutes there before returning to Fort William, which seemed about right.  Besides, from google, there's no place to turn the engine, so it should be fun to watch it run the return trip backwards.

Anyway, that led me to the Bo'Ness and Kinneil I could do alone, if we were having too much togetherness time.  We're "negotiating"....

BritsTukker

I recommend you dump four asap and just take the 6-year old - could have a whale of a time!

Mike from CT

Quote from: BritsTukker on July 07, 2013, 10:51:24 PM
I recommend you dump four asap and just take the 6-year old - could have a whale of a time!

She loved the Essex Steam Train - got to see Thomas (which was a dummy) and a real steam locomotive - which I liked better.  But then I've been brainwashing her - she already has a wooden Thomas and would have an electric (HO scale) one, but her parents won't let me buy it for her - yet (she's still 5 - she'll be 6 by the time we take the trip).

Her parents (and her aunt and uncle) are Harry Potter fans.  I don't think JK Rowling could beat her aunt at a Potter trivia game. I'm counting on that to win the day.  Sophi (my granddaughter) and I are the only ones who get excited by trains (although it's Sophie's aunt who took the round the periphery of the US rail trip with me.  She's not anti-train, just doesn't salivate over them....)

vistisen

Quote from: BritsTukker on July 07, 2013, 10:51:24 PM
Go to York, and you'll be the six year old ;D