News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

JMRI xml file

Started by Al Brough, May 21, 2013, 10:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Brough

Hi David/All,

is there an extract I can use to import my AR design into JMRI? I have read that XtrkCadReader can be used to import an xml files into JMRI and if there was a function similar on AR or if one could be added?

David

Hi Al,

This is not possible right now.

I don't know how big the interest is in such an export function? It seems like quite a lot of work. However, if there are dozens of people that want this, we can investigate the possibilities.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Mike from CT

My vote...

I'd give it a "really nice to have."  (It would rank above any 3D enhancements - until you figure out to feed the plan into a 3D printer and I can go to bed at night and wake up the next morning with the whole layout standing there ready to run, anyway. :o )

PaulB

David,
   I would like that as I plan on setting up JMRI in the relatively near future.
Paul
CEO of the PB&J RR

BritsTukker

On the basis of this thread appearing, I downloaded and installed the latest JMRI s/w. Sofar, I've only tried out the Layout and Panel editors, and I'm not impressed. I'm running under Windows XP and I think the program may have some issues with this, as some things simply don't work, so I won't be using it anytime soon.

jcarlson1701

I would like to see JMRI export as well...

Al Brough

Quote from: BritsTukker on May 24, 2013, 11:55:26 AM
On the basis of this thread appearing, I downloaded and installed the latest JMRI s/w. Sofar, I've only tried out the Layout and Panel editors, and I'm not impressed. I'm running under Windows XP and I think the program may have some issues with this, as some things simply don't work, so I won't be using it anytime soon.

Being open source and Java based it is a little tricky to start using, I also really battled at first and almost gave up. You can set it to look and feel like Windows which makes it easier to used if you are in a Windows environment, I also had some issues with the newer versions of JMRI and XP so I used a spare copy of 7 (Home Premium) I had lying around and it seems better. Once you get the gist of how it works it is fairly easy. There are many Youtube videos on how to set it up (arthurhouston3 has many videos from scratch) and with some practice you'll be ok. I like the fact that it feeds back information to the programme from LocoNet, so manually flicking a turnout on the layout is registered, provided you have it setup to do so.
The appeal to me is that it is free and updated frequently so bugs are combated as they arise, you can get a wealth of information from the very active JMRI yahoo group and report issues/bugs you are having to the developers.

Jeff

Mike,

I think you may be on to something. I can imagine putting parts of a 3D layout, both baseboard and roadbed, in for 3D printing. I can see that being one heck of a fast way to turn out an entire layout in a short time. Just add track and scenery... You could also scale the printout to something like 20mm to the meter so you can see what it really looks like before using a lot of 'ink' on the final layout.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It