News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

3D in SketchUp

Started by RhB_HJ, July 17, 2013, 12:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhB_HJ

Interesting stuff. It will require a few extra steps to get better visuals e.g. best to leave track on different level layers a uniform colour and mark all the tunnel sections black.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

chaz

Hi HJ,

Careful, or you will be designing stuff in Skethup and "printing" them at Shapeways.  Like these LED housings.

Chaz
MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

RhB_HJ

Hi chaz

Thanks for the warning.  ;D ;D I need to get with the program and tackle "Alibre Design" which readily transfers to my CNC router. BUT I confess so far I had too many other excuses. ;) ;)
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

JeffSydenham

I have to say that I have found this export to 3D most useful in designing my layout of a mountain railway.

Jeff

RhB_HJ

Yes it is, but it would be even more usefull if one could export the height reference points along with it. In AR one can easily set a height reference point by splitting the flextrack where it crosses over, having that in 3D would be a great help.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

chaz

This is a Sketchup view of the tracks from AnyRail and a plate bridge I designed in Sketchup, for a Z scale layout in Australia.  I've got the design time per bridge to less than an hour.  Obviously, the second bridge is yet to be done.

It is nice to see how the 3D images fit, prior to having the bridge created.  The cost to create Z scale bridges at Shapeways is about $10 for every 30 degrees.  The cost escalates rapidly for larger scales.

Chaz
MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

chaz

Here is a double-track, curved plate bridge with BNSF lettering.  Too bad they don't exist.

Jeff

Just something to think about:  even bridges with diagonal ends don't exist. At least not as commercial products. And that's really dumb since such bridges are the way the prototype handles curved bridges or track crossing a ditch (river, stream, etc.).
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

chaz

I just received my first bridge printed at Shapeways.  All in all, it's pretty nice.  The walls of the bridge are very strong.  The base is weak, but will be very strong when I Super Glue the KATO track to the bridge.  These are my longest cars and they just fit.  Future bridges will be wider, especially to the inside.

Bob Bryce

Wow ... that's really great.  Just don't add a layer of paint to those cars!  ;D

Jeff

Come to that, consider how bad long cars look on Kato track. Just another nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

chaz

You are right, long cars on tight curves, look bad...but I didn't know it was only a problem with KATO track.

This 83' car is the longest car in my inventory.  I was using it as a test.

The bridge is designed to the NMRA modern clearance plus 1mm.  I expected a tight fit, but not quite this tight.

Jeff

It is certainly NOT a fault of Kato alone. They just do a darn fine job of that on their own :) :P