News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

New layout

Started by vvarady, August 23, 2013, 08:00:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarady

I wanted some feedback and suggestions on this layout. I've never built anything other than one level with the exception of the viaduct track.
I'm trying to be able to run some passenger trains on the mainlines while working in the sidings etc..
I originally started with MiniTrix and the European trains, but i switched to Kato along the way.
I have Ph IV Amtrak and alot of freight rolling stock. Purchased items that I liked the way they looked !
My space is walled on 3 sides so i was keeping it to 3' deep.

Thanks

Jeff

If you go with 3 feet, you'd better not have tall scenery, or you will smash it every time you reach for a derailed train. Also, plan on a low layout. That will limit the number of levels you have. Maybe you could operate from a chair to make the view better?
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Bob Bryce

I agree with Jeff on the reach issue.  3 feet is a fair reach for HO, and I would imagine it is far more difficult to correct problems in N scale with that amount of reach. 

You might reconsider the location of the double cross-over, possibly just to the right of what I assume is a large train station in the front.  Cross-overs and S-curves will probably be the places where you have the most potiential for problems and in it's current location, it is located right behind the New River Mining Company, which is a fairly large and tall structure and will make reaching the cross-over behind it pretty touchy. 

Also, depending on the parts available, you could shorten the roundhouse on the turntable some to get more clearance between the roundhouse and the track behind it.  It looks like the depth of the roundhouse is much deeper than the turntable's bridge can accomodate in engine length. 

At turnout #3 and definately at turnout #7 you are creating an S-Curve, which may limit your ability to run some longer cars and locomotives.  I had a similar problem with one of my designs.  Switch #7 is actually a double S and is also right behind the roundhouse, and if you have a derail there, it also will be difficult to reach.  Turnout #3 does have a short straight section between the curves to help.  You may want to test these before building the layout to ensure your equipment will work before constructing the entire layout.

Overall, it looks like a really nice, interesting layout for the area you have available!

Jeff

I have a suggestion that should help - turn the layout 180 degrees. That puts the double crossover and a lot of the turnouts closer to the 'open' edge of the table. I did a quick and dirty example (attached) so you can see what it does.
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Bob Bryce

I liked what Jeff did by reversing the layout.  It does put the turnouts easier to handle by far.  Hope you don't mind Jeff, but I also made a couple of changes to your design.  I seperated the turnouts behind the mining company a little and added back the third siding to the New River Mine structure, as it is made to handle 3 sidings (if the N scale version is the same as the HO version).  Also added one or two small straight sections to break up some small s-curves also. 

Jeff

I don't mind at all. I didn't actually change your layout at all, just flipped it round backwards :-)

RhB_HJ

My two cents:

Too much for the available space, two industrial elements (Intermodal and Mining) which stretch the plausibility too much i.e coal mines are placed on lots of real estate out in the country; Intermodel are close (if not within) large urban areas.
There is not enough running trackage to justify a roundhouse.

I short less could be much more.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Jeff

H-J, I actually have a coal mine (no longer in production)  in my back yard, a coal seam running across my driveway, and a producing oil well about 50 feet from the border of my property. Now, our coal mine is maybe 1000' from the nearest city line.

You may take this info as fact and I'd be happy to send you a sample lump :-)

RhB_HJ

Yeah sure and there's an Intermodal yard right beside it and right around the corner there's a roundhouse, too.
I'm a firm believer in modeling the "common" stuff i.e. stuff that has believability; not the "oh there was one almost like that back in ....", but that's just me. I leave all that to those who thrive on it.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

vvarady

Thanks for the tips and redesigns. The rotated version B looks real nice.
The one thing with the Dbl Crossover is the track to track spacing is too narrow for the platform islands.
I'm going to try to fix that so I can keep the platforms in front.

As far as the believability of the industry type and proximity, I am not a model railroader in the true sense.
I just like trains and like I've said I have never done anything on more than one plane.

All comments are appreciated.

vvarady

Here it is ?

Jeff

Actually, H-J, the intermodal outfit is about 25 miles from here. As vvrady says, it's a matter of not caring, especially when faced with the combination of things that interest him and limited space.

RhB_HJ

Well frankly, the not caring bit I never get, even if I get to be a hundred.  ??? ???
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

RhB_HJ

Quote from: Jeff on August 28, 2013, 04:33:12 PM
     ::)   

:-X

Simply put, I'm of the "Why bother, if you don't care?" school. But I hear that enrollment is dropping off at a frightful rate.  :P :P :o
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos