News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Editing objects (change color of a selection of objects, aligning)

Started by AlanUS, August 28, 2013, 12:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanUS

Hello,

I've just started creating my own objects (buildings), and I lacked some simple features that would have helped me.

1.   Changing the color of a group of objects (a multiple selection) in a single click
Surprisingly when you selected multiple objects, it is possible to change the objects' outline draw size and color, and the objects' background color transparency, of all the objects at the same time, but this is not offered for the background color itself.
Note that when objects are grouped together, it is not possible to change any of these features – this could be helpful as well, though there is a turnaround (ungroup, select all, change, then re-group).

2.   Aligning objects
Though aligning objects on the grid (snap to grid option) allows doing a lot of thing – the grid size can be very small (below 1) – it would be helpful in certain cases to have the possibility to align selected objects to a reference object (to the left, to the right, to the middle – vertical and horizontal).

Note that it would be better if the move of objects with keyboard direction arrows would stick to the grid size, i.e. one key strike = move to next point on the grid. Currently, the move is predefined whatever the grid size.
N-scale Canada/US - DCC Uhlenbrock IB II + Railroad Train Controller

Jeff

Welcome to the forums Alan. Your number 2 above is already in place, I think. There is a control in Settings / Behavior that is a checkbox called 'Snap to grid'. That will take care of keeping your layout neat.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

AlanUS

Quote from: Jeff on August 28, 2013, 04:01:14 PMYour number 2 above is already in place, I think. There is a control in Settings / Behavior that is a checkbox called 'Snap to grid'.
Well, almost. Like I said the "snap to grid" feature will suffice for most of the cases. But it won't work for alignment in the middle, or if the reference object is not aligned on the grid. The feature I'm thinking of is very much like the one in MS Office, for example.

Jeff

I'll let David take over on this. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to include MS Word in AnyRail. It might up the price a bit too much! :)
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

AlanUS

Quote from: Jeff on August 29, 2013, 06:16:36 PM
I'll let David take over on this. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to include MS Word in AnyRail. It might up the price a bit too much! :)
;D For sure.
Anyway, this is just a wish list. Re. the alignment feature itself, it is a pretty common one in a lot of drawing software. I took MS Office as an example only. :-\