News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Getting started with software

Started by jerrrryk, August 28, 2013, 03:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerrrryk

After 17 years I am getting back into MR. I have a newly renovated room in my barn that is 27' by 15'.  The train layout area will be 11' by 20' with 2' isles all around. I bought and dl the software, but can't seem to get started. I read all of the help info.  I have set the width to 240 (inches) and the depth to 132. I set the grid to 1".  I can't seem to get a rectangle on the screen showing the whole layout? Should I use different settings because the layout is large?  Should I, and can I work on smaller sections and later connect them together as I build? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David

It's probably best to take a look at the video tutorials:
www.anyrail.com/tutorials_en.html

The one titled 'Shape tools and user objects' will explain how to draw a baseboard.

Also, please don't hesitate to ask when you need more help!

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Jeff

Welcome to the forums Jerry. Once you have watched the tutorial, I have a suggestion for you- Leave the aisles to 2 1/2 feet. You may have friends over to help run the layout (or even work on it) who are a little larger than 2 feet, especially when leaning over scenery, etc to reach something.

There are a couple of other things you will want to set before you begin designing. Under the File tab you'll find an Options menu choice. A couple of things in there need set. Then under Settings, you will find things like the Measurement system, grid size (as you know), minimum radius, etc.

Once you get through those, all you need to do is open Track libraries, choose your scale and track system manufacturer(s), and go! You'll find that there are lots of other tools and controls, but I like to start working and then look for tools as I need them. In any case, you can find help here on anything you want to know.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

RhB_HJ

My two cents:
Make the work area considerably larger than just the layout+aisles size, you'll use that space to "park" track and other objects which you placed but then decide on a different piece of track.
What works for me: LH upper corner of the footprint is 12" (both directions) from the LH upper corner of the work area. If you enlarge the work area (Settings) it will always expand to the right and down i.e. that LH upper corner is the reference "0".
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

jerrrryk

Still stuck.  I reread the tutorial and tried to duplicate setting up the train table.  I tried using inches (240 x 132) and feet (11 x 20) but I get weird results.  Is it better to use inches or feet?  I understand I can make it bigger so I have room to park stuff later.  What scale is best to use to get started? Are there other settings I need when just laying out the train table?

PaulB

Jerry,
   What track are you planning on using?
I can mock up an example for you ...
Paul
CEO of the PB&J RR

Mike from CT

Quote from: jerrrryk on September 03, 2013, 02:24:01 PM
Still stuck.  I reread the tutorial and tried to duplicate setting up the train table.  I tried using inches (240 x 132) and feet (11 x 20) but I get weird results.  Is it better to use inches or feet?  I understand I can make it bigger so I have room to park stuff later.  What scale is best to use to get started? Are there other settings I need when just laying out the train table?

I'm not sure exactly where you set those measurements since there is no place to set them to feet.  The measurements are set to metric (millimeters or centimeters) or inches (decimal or fractions) on the leftmost part of the settings ruler:

• Click on "Settings" on the settings bar.
  • Click on the image or "Measurement Settings"
  • Select the setting you want, "Engish fractional units (inches)" [which will show "1 1/4"] or "English decimal units (inches)" [which will show 1.25].
  • In the next block set the width and depth of the drawing space.  I set it to the barn size: width 324, depth 180.
  • I set the grid to 12", but you can set it to whatever you want.
  • I also chose to snap lines and surfaces to grid, way over on the right side of the settings ribbon by checking the "Snap to grid" and entering "1" in the size box (remember, we're doing this in inches, so that's 1 inch).
Now I inserted the train space in as a rectangle:

• Click on "Insert" on the settings bar.
  • Click on add rectangle
  • Set width to the actual layout space within the barn (width 240, height 132 inches)
  • Now, on the layout surface, click anywhere.  a gray rectangle will appear that's off-center.  No problem....
  • Using the slide bar, move the layout to all the way the left until you see the right side of the grey rectangle.
  • Now move slide bar on the right side of the layout area down until you see the bottom of the rectangle
  • There's a small dot at the bottom right corner.  Click on it and it and you'll get the "Tools: Lines and surfaces" ribbon.
  • Now, make sure "move surface" is selected first, then enter 300 for the x-coordinate and 156 for the y-coordinate.  (The rectangle will move soon as you tab out of either coordinate box, which is why you need to make "Move Surface" radio button is selected *before* entering the coordinates.)
Or you could just download the attached .any file. (I changed the color and transparency of the actual layout space, but that's for another lesson.... :D )

(A PS added by edit:  I'd follow HJ's suggestion and set the drawing space larger.  But you can always go back through the first series of steps above and enlarge the space without losing anything (the space is to the right and below.  Truth be told, I set my total space to 1000x1000 and actually went back and shrunk it for the attachment.)

Jeff

And, Jerry, as for what scale to model in (at least that's what I understood the second half of your question to be), that's got to be your choice. I would suggest that you find your nearest hobby shop and spend some quality time there. You'll find that the two most popular scales are HO and N. So, you'll find your widest availability there.

P.s. from your original post - use the control key + the mouse wheel to zoom in and out so you CAN see the whole thing at once :-)
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

jerrrryk

Thanks guys. Excellent directions Mike. I now have the room and table top laid out and I am learning more and more about the software.  Jeff, I am doing HO scale with Atlas code 83 track. The question I had about scale was with the software...on the Home menu, far right, it shows "view scale"  Mine now shows 1:10.  I assume that means 1 inch on the screen = 10 inches on the actual layout?

Jeff

Generally speaking, it means that 1 "unit" on the screen equals 10 "units" in the real world. I don't think anyone can say that the ratio holds in terms of real screen size because the screen image is subject to other software zoom controls on your system.

PaulB

Jerry,
   In the bottom right hand corner is where you can change the 'scale' of the workspace.
1:1 would should the parts at full size (real life size of the HO turnout on your screen.
Based on the size of your layout, you will need 1:25 to see the whole layout on the screen but you will probably end up working at 1:10 range most of the time.

Are you going with an E shaped layout? You really do not want to have to reach more than 30" to any of the track.
Paul
CEO of the PB&J RR

Mike from CT

Paul's right about changing the scale (and changing it on the slider on the bottom right is what I use, since it's always there), but if you're looking at the Scale on the "Home" ribbon, you can accomplish the same thing by clicking on the scale (or down arrow) and selecting the scale you want).

Jeff's correct about what the scale represents - best thing is to think of it as a zoom button and not worry how it translates into a "real world" size.

jerrrryk

Yes Paul, I have a rough idea on paper where I will have access spaces or walk thru's so I will be able to reach all areas, generally less than 30 inches.  Once I get it drawn out on AR I will share it.

PaulB

Jerry,
   You should consider 30" the minimum for all aisles and you should stay away from 'access holes' where you need to crawl under the layout. No one ever gets younger, thinner and more agile ...
Paul
CEO of the PB&J RR

Mike from CT

Quote from: PaulB on September 07, 2013, 02:05:04 PM
<snip>
No one ever gets younger, thinner and more agile ...
True, but our skulls get thicker so the risk of permanent damage when we bonk our heads lessens.... :)