News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Display numbers to X decimal places

Started by alex16384, October 29, 2013, 10:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

santerdam

Indeed, two micron is shocking. It is the difference in lenght of 1 meter of flex when you change the temperature one single degree Celsius ....

Sander

David

Well, as said, I can imagine that one's used to certain fixed values, especially for the fractions often used in imperial measurements.

So don't worry, it'll be a setting.

David.

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

santerdam

David, please make it possible to select 0 or 1 decimal too.

My dimensions are millimeters and often I don't need decimals. Or in specific cases 1 digit, a precision of 0,1 mm.

Sander

BritsTukker

I agree with Sander.
I also always use mm, and 1mm is generally fine. 0.1mm would be the highest resolution I would ever need.  ;D
Of course, that's .004" for the old-fashioned imperial guys, so I can understand them wanting 3 places.  8)
I never could get my head around the fractional inch measurements.  ::)

glakedylan

OT...so forgive my posting in such a way. TIA

this thread is bringing back so many wonderful memories of my Dad (a machinist by trade) teaching me to use a micrometer and converting to metric.

it was a great time and a lot of good stuff learned.

thanks for the memories! :-)

peace,
Gary

Mike from CT

Quote from: BritsTukker on November 02, 2013, 11:45:04 PM
<snip>
I never could get my head around the fractional inch measurements.  ::)

Sounds like me and metric.  I have no trouble with comparing sizes in metric, but I have no idea what that size is "in real life".

Luckily, we're visiting the UK next summer and not the continent, because I have no idea what 100km per hour looks like, but I know 60 miles per hour.  (I just choose to ignore it.... ::) )

Of course, all that means is that I'll know how fast I was going when I shear off the left side of the car against a lamp post.... :-[

Mike from CT

Quote from: vistisen on November 02, 2013, 05:33:18 PM
Is that an American meter or a european? They are NOT the same the American is 1.6 µm too short. I suggest David releases a regional version of Anyrail  :P

Not a problem, *real* Americans don't do metric... :P :D ;) :) 

BritsTukker

Quote from: Mike from CT on November 03, 2013, 05:46:32 AM

Officially, they do - that's why NASA sometimes gets its knickers twisted.  :P ;) ;D

Dragonfly

Not just NASA, but also Air Canada.

I have to say I do agree with Alex on this. 3dp might seem excessive on millimeters, or even on inches, but it's more a matter of things adding up right. Converting from fractional inches to decimal inches, and seeing that 0.13+0.13=0.25 just feels wrong.

RhB_HJ

Quote from: Mike from CT on November 03, 2013, 05:46:32 AM
Quote from: vistisen on November 02, 2013, 05:33:18 PM
Is that an American meter or a european? They are NOT the same the American is 1.6 µm too short. I suggest David releases a regional version of Anyrail  :P

:P :P
That's not the only thing "real Americans" can't manage.
:P :P ;D ;D
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Mike from CT

Quote from: RhB_HJ on November 04, 2013, 12:03:40 AM
That's not the only thing "real Americans" can't manage.
:P :P ;D ;D

Sheesh and I squelched my urge to do smart-aleck remarks about both the Swiss (who wouldn't be happy with less that six decimal places) and the Canadians (with a sideswipe at the French, as well), because I didn't think they'd be taken in the tone intended.

Just for that, I refuse to take yours in the tone intended.  So there..... :P :P :P :P :P ;) :)