News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Re-calculating heights

Started by Andrew, November 27, 2008, 09:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

HI David,
I don't think anyone one has raised it. When you have set the height and gradient at 2% and find that your starting point is out and try this from the next track connection, nothing happens.
I usually undo or either zero the height and restart, this also occurs when you want to change the gradient ie from 2% to 2.5%.
Yours,
Andrew
Yours,

Andrew

David

What happens if you set the height, is that the current height differences with adjacent connections is checked against the percentage that you've set. Connected track is moved up or down with the given percentage, but only if necessary. If the gradient between two points is less than the given percentage, nothing happens.

So, it's like you say: if you've set the height from point A with a gradient of 2%, all connected track is adjusted.
If you do the same on an adjacent point immediately afterwards, everything is considered OK and nothing happens.
If you set the gradient at 2.5%, it's even more within that given maximum percentage, so nothing happens.

So your way of working is OK, simply 'Undo' and try again.

We're looking at a way to create a smooth gradient between two points that are at a fixed height. That should probably make it a bit easier to work with height differences.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Andrew

What I do is, after I have the 2 points for the slope and the gradient between 2 - 2.4%, I round the individual track connections to the nearest mm ensuring that the gradient is maintained.

Perhaps having the slope in whole mm rather than .00mm could help for the design. The slope on my layout will be 0 to 130mm and obviously every mm in between.
Andrew
Yours,

Andrew