News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Make zooming in and out a bit more consistent

Started by alex16384, December 17, 2013, 09:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alex16384

It seems to me that the zoom function has a number of unusual jumps between some of the magnification points. It starts out fine at the close-up end going from 5:1 to 1:12 by 1s and then 2s, but then it has some odd ones, and finally zooms out a bit too quickly, IMHO. 1:15 to 1:16 is just one after it's been going by 2s for a bit, then all of a sudden a jump to 1:20, which is 4, then another 4 to 1:24, then back to just 1 to 1:25. This seems rather odd to me. Then on to 1:30, and higher, but suddenly at a rate which strikes me as being too quick.

I'd like to suggest that it be a bit more consistent and go something like this starting from 1:12 and zooming out:

1:12
1:14
1:16
1:18
1:21
1:24
1:27
1:30
1:35
1:40
1:45
1:50
1:60
1:70
1:85
1:100
1:125
1:150
1:200
1:250
1:300

Bob Bryce

$.02:   I never really noticed it, but after he mentioned it and I tried it, it is correct that the zoom increments are a bit inconsistent.  I also like the step changes recommended here.

David

The scales are choosen te be suitable for both metric and imperial units.
For instance, for metric people 1:10 is very suitable, while many people that think in inches prefer 1:12 (12 inches in a foot).

So that explains the reasoning :)

David.

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

alex16384

I see your point, and although I can see how that would help when printing it out, I'm not sure I see how that applies to viewing on the screen, considering that everything scales along with the chosen magnification. It's alright with me if you want to keep the 1:15, 1:20, 1:25 and 1:75 that I left out of my list of suggested magnifications, but even so I'd still like to see a few more steps in between so things don't jump so much in size between them.

Bob Bryce

I'm sorry David, but I don't follow the reasoning.  Zoom scale is in percent scale, with no units.  1:12 is still 1:12, whether it is 1 meter in 12 meters or 1 foot in 12 feet.  It is a ratio, not a unit of measurement. Zoom scales are more for visual veiwing, not so much for actual measuring on screen, as the dimensions are always true dimension either way. Is it possible to make the zoom ranges more uniform between each other?

Jeff

Not to mention that you're looking at it backwards! The place where the progression-by-one is needed is up in the 1:15+ area. That's when you zoom out and changes in magnification produce big results in the amount of screen info. So, I vote for +1 changes all across the entire tool.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

alex16384

Sure, I would go along with that, it would make the zoom function more of a true slider.