News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Here we go again

Started by Jeff, January 11, 2014, 10:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

>:( >:( >:( Well, the desktop is back on the Injured-Reserve list. This time it appears to be something serious. I know it must be serious, because it's proving to be dam hard to pin down. I get solid walls of BSOD's- one time it will indicate a bad driver (before any drivers are loaded), sometimes it tells me that it's a bad IRQ call, sometimes an ISPL call to memory allocated to some other program,... I've already wiped the C: drive down to the base silicon, reformatted, and tried reinstalling Windows. All that did was waste about 1 1/2 hours and get me a BSOD right after Windows went into its Load screen. I'm at the 'unhook ALL hardware except the video card and one drive' and try it again.

Man, I hate computers! (That aren't working perfectly)

Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

glakedylan

argh...sorry to hear, Jeff. I hope you find a solution and one that does not cost $$$! yes, computers--other than those working perfectly--are a PITA!

peace,
Gary

RhB_HJ

Well, I can almost feel your pain, but since my 'puter has also developed a serious "No, I won't" attitude ......... there's a limit. Everything's to be honky-dory when you go back to restore point whatever. At least that's how it's supposed to work.  >:( >:( >:(

PS This is brought to you by one of two XP machines that keep on chugging!
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Mike from CT

There are a few simple joys in life....

One is taking a sledge hammer to a hard drive that irretrievable went south.

A second is replacing a 9-year old XP machine with a new Win 7 one, just because the hard drive went south and you smashed it with a sledge hammer.

RhB_HJ

There is something to be said for partitioned HDDs. ;)  :) Mind you I had to do the "recovery" routine, which in this case meant format C: and reinstall Win7. Other than that .... more hours of work to get back to square one. Amongst other things the usual XP and Win7 on the same network.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Mike from CT

My current machine has two hard drives, both bootable, both Win 7.  Drives are cheap, nowadays.  (I don't have vast amounts of video to store - I'm using about 90 gb and I have no idea how, but they're 440 gb drives, so I can be lazy and not try to find out.)

And I still have the sledge hammer if either gives me trouble - and they know it.... :D

RhB_HJ

Two drives, 1T each. HD video gobbles space in a big way, that's why I also have two externals with 1T each.
Yep I'm still having fun getting things the way they need to be.  ;) ;)
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

My train videos

Jeff

Yeah, XP and the restore point are great... except when the issue is hardware failure. The hard drives seem to be OK. the bios reports each one passes the Smart testing. Power supply reports voltages are OK. RAM tests run clean. BUT, I get BSOD's before Windows can finish booting off the installation CD AND they are never the same one more than twice in a row. That's what happens when something is seriously snafu.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It