News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Just submitted Quite a number of structures

Started by dth1971, February 05, 2014, 11:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dth1971

United Trucking (Walthers 931-804)
Miss Bettie's Diner (Walthers 933-2909)
Diesel House (Modern) (Walthers 933-2916)
Detailed Blower Engine House -Ashland Iron & Steel (Walthers 933-2957)
Rolling Mill (Walthers 933-2971)
Detailed Coke Oven & Quench Tower (Walthers 933-2972)  This one comes in 5 pieces so you can arrange them the way you want
Detailed Blast Furnace (Walthers 933-2973) Broken into two pieces, main furnace and high-line.
PRR Block & Interlocking Station (Walthers 933-2982)
Detailed Western Avenue Fire Station (Walthers 933-3037)
Detailed Steel Water Tank (Walthers 933-3043)
Detailed Electric Furnace (Walthers 933-3056)
REA Transfer Building (Walthers 933-3095)

Coming soon,
Updated Coke Retort (to match the detail of the coke oven which is virtually identical)
Vollmer Church
Kibri Roman Catholic Church
Vollmer Cathedral (with optional steps)
DPM townhouses & storefronts
City Classics
Lunde Studio Sky scrappers/city series
CMR (Custom Model Railroad) sky scrappers/city series
Bachmann sky scrappers
Walthers Sky scrappers

Future-Digital

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

Mike from CT

That's starting off with a bang....  :)

A very definite "Welcome to the forum."

dth1971

Just submitted:
Detailed American Hardware Supply (Walthers)
Storage Shed On Pilings (Walthers)
Ashmore Hotel (Walthers)
Newsstands 1 & 2 (Two separate units) (Walthers)
Roman Catholic Church (Kibri)
Gas & Electric Skyscrapper (CMR Trains)
Townhouses 1->3 (DPM)

RhB_HJ

Welcome Donald, yep, good start!

However, how about adding the dimensions to the objects?  ;) :)
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

dth1971

Quote from: RhB_HJ on February 07, 2014, 03:41:41 PM
Welcome Donald, yep, good start!

However, how about adding the dimensions to the objects?  ;) :)

I could.  But why?  That's what the ruler is for.

For the most part I take the catalog's measurements and add a generic space block with title text overlay.  If the catalog has a copy of the foot print, I print that picture out and measure the drawing and scale it based off ruler measurements.  (This is how I did the blast furnace and coke plant which took over an hour each to do)  I sometimes have the kit completed in my basement as well and will directly measure that.

Either way the outside dimensions (the most important ones in most cases), should be accurate to .03125" (1/32")

One thing I wish Anyrail would do is allow me to include track, or the very least connection points for track in the UDO.  It would be so useful for kits that use track like the backshop, blast furnace, or rolling mill.

RhB_HJ

QuoteI could.  But why?  That's what the ruler is for.

Because having the dimensions right on the object is a lot handier than fiddling with the ruler. But to each his own.  ;) :)

In addition, having a few of the objects defining features drawn also helps with placement and it enhances the overall look of the track plan. Even for very simple layouts.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Future-Digital

I also agree that having the sizes, perhaps in both mm and inches, is VERY handy. Please consider.
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

Mike from CT

Just some thoughts out loud, rather than casting any votes....

I'd suggest adding them to the object's description, rather than as text included in the object itself.

But I suppose that, if one adds them to the object itself, anyone who doesn't want the text can modify the object and delete any text one does not want.  The problem then is that one loses the information (manufacturer, part number, etc.) that one might like to keep to identify the object later (although, even then, one can save the modified object as a new one and re-enter the info.)

Either way, it'd be nice to have the information, just as it'd be nice to add track location indication for placement, but to delete the indication when the track is actually planned (which requires modifying the object and losing accompanying data).

David

Dear user object uploaders,

Thanks for your great work! I try to process them as quickly as possible.

However, quite a few have pictures on them for which I cannot verify copyright. So unfortunately I cannot allow them as user objects.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.