News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

210cmx90cm N

Started by jagalindof, March 17, 2014, 11:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jagalindof

Hi people,
I try to put 2 levels in 210x90 N. 2 parallel tracks, one for each direction.
Thanks for your opinions  ::)
Two words will open all the doors: "push" and "pull"

chaz

Hi Jagalindof,

Folded dog bone layouts are a great way to get a lot of track into a very small space.

I'm not familiar with MiniTrix, but I do have a couple of comments.

1.  There is a small radius, reversed curve in the middle.  You may see some uncoupling here.

2.  I assume you want to run two trains at the same time.  One clockwise and one anti-clockwise.  If both trains start in the same station...train 1 will proceed to the next station.  Train 2 make a quick turn, stops in the station going the opposite direction, and then follows train 1 to the next station.

Here is a folded dog bone that is not that much different from yours.  The stations are separated by equal distances.  That is, the clockwise and anticlockwise distance between the stations is almost equal.  In addtion, the clockwise train always goes through a station in the clockwise direction, and the anti-clockwise train always goes through a station in the anti-clockwise direction.

Chaz
MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

jagalindof

Nothing like experienced people.
You are rigth in your comments. I'm still a beginner.
Go to study your example and modify my layout.
Thanks a lot Chaz.
Greetings from Barcelona (Spain)

chaz

Thanks.  We want to see your changes.

My layout has a purpose.  It's the Eastern terminus of a larger layout.  I use it to turn and store (stage) freight trains.  It's more fun if you don't have to take time to run the next train in your collection.  On many layouts, the staging tracks are hidden from view.

Can you come up with a list of what you want to do?

I'ts also personal.  My Grandfather used to ship hogs to St Joseph on the MOPAC.  One of the middle modules has a spur with a small stockyard and loading shoot.  The only thing that remains is the well.

Do you have a local railroad or a railroad from your past that you would like to model?

Chaz 

MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

chaz

Jagalindof,

A staging layout looks a lot less cluttered if you can hide some of it.  In this case, I could make the track dive down under, instead of up over.  Besides reducing the clutter, Eastbound trains disappear going East...and re-appear as Westbound trains going West.

Chaz

glakedylan

just wondering as I follow this thread: what is the reference of 90x210? is that inches or something else?

it seems the original size (by grid size) has shrunk to a 4x8' plan? or, am in misunderstanding?

thanks...

Gary

chaz

Jagalindof's layout is a 210x90cm, Minitrix layout.

His folded dog bone design is pretty good, other than the reversed curve, and he is asking for opinions.  My staging, Z scale layout is similar, though much smaller at 2'x4'.  I think he would like to see other folded dog bone layouts.  I also think he is looking for comments about good Minitrix technique.

Chaz

jagalindof

Hi,
glakedylan, is 210cmx90cm. Here, we don't think in inches/feet. Sorry!
Thanks chaz. I changed the layout a bit.
I want a layout to run no more than 2 or 3 compositions at time (in fact, no more money to buy more trains  :'( ;D ), and maneuvering to play with trains (I don't know if the setence is correct in english)
Two different environments (up and down) not decided yet.

glakedylan

ah. OK. cm makes sense
it has been an interesting thread with the changes in plan
Chaz, nice work.
Jagalindof, I know nothing about minitrix track and little about metric measurement without having a conversion app right in front of me.
thanks for bringing me up to speed.

sincerely
Gary