News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

00 gauge station with block detection

Started by IoM, June 25, 2014, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IoM

Hi,

I've spent the last 6 months working on my first track design which includes 700 foot of track and three stations - two terminus and one through station. I've decided that I'll start by building one station and its approach this coming winter and would welcome any comments or suggestions you may have on improving the layout.

Secondly, it is my intention to look to totally automate the layout using Digitrax with Traincontroller and I plan to set up block detection via Digitrax BDL168's, so would really welcome your thoughts on the suitability of my proposed blocks, especially in the complex throat sections of the station.

David

Looks OK, but you have very little room to let an engine run around, especially in the purple and red sections at the left.
There are also quite a few places that are curved in a way that might derail pushed cars easily.
I think you can make it more interesting by intentionally leaving a few turnouts out.
This would make it easier to connect it all without the forced curves, and will make the shunting a more interesting puzzle.

It also saves a lot of money!

Finally, I would advise against curved sidings such as the light blue one near the turntable. Couplers sometimes refuse to function when at an angle.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

glakedylan

IoM
welcome to the AR Forum
it is an interesting plan with lots of possibility
and David is spot on in his words of wisdom
again, welcome!
kind regards,
Gary

IoM

It is interesting - you spend months living with and perfecting a plan and become convinced you're on the right track, but as soon as someone points out improvements your whole perspective changes.

I can now clearly see there are sections which could result in a derail and must be simplified and I can't believe I included curved sidings where there is room for straight ones! I'm intrigued with the thought that fewer turnouts can result in a more enjoyable end result and will spend some time working on that.

I'm away for the next few days but will spend time next week incorporating these ideas. Stay tuned for the latest update!   

Mike from CT

While straight ("tangent") tracks eliminate any coupler misalignment problems, I wouldn't get overly strict avoiding them as they can provide sceniking and space utilization benefits.  The answer, as in so many things, is balance.  Remember, the rule about not using reverse curves?  Any crossover between two parallel tangents is a reversing curve, but no one suggests eliminating crossovers....

How well couplers function on curves (assuming they're operating properly) depends first on whether or not they are mounted on the truck or the car body.  Truck mounted couplers are more tolerant of sharper curves (because they are aligned tangent to the curve under the truck, rather than the curve under the center of the car).

The most important aspect for car mounted couplers is the radius of the curve versus the length of the car.  A 20.4m (67ft) goods wagon box car is just over 9 1/2 inches long in HO.  The light blue track in IoM's station looks to have a curve in the 70" range - or over 7 times the length of the wagon - well more than enough that coupling shouldn't be an issue.

Jeff

"but no one suggests eliminating crossovers...."

Not even HJ? Hmm...
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

BritsTukker

Quote from: Jeff on July 07, 2014, 08:16:04 PM
Not even HJ? Hmm...

HJ has been remarkably quiet for the last couple of months. Maybe all those tons of rock have taken their toll ......
But I guess once the snow returns he'll be back with renewed vigour .....

IoM

Hi,

I've had a look at simplifying the design but still attempting to retain the interest. Most of the turnouts have been replaced with larger ones to try and improve things for shunting and I've looked to straighten out sidings where practical. Any further thoughts welcomed and especially from those who have used block detection in their layouts for computer control as I'm still not convinced I've got it right over the turnouts.

Many thanks

glakedylan

it may very well be the European v. American prototype...so, fwiw, imho: the turnouts and crossover from one track to another in the platform space makes no sense to me. unless you are running very small passenger trains or light rail transit, all the crossovers would be in the throat to the passenger area rather than in the platform area of such.
kindest regards,
Gary

Jeff

Gary,

Those crossovers are for single-ended trains. It lets the engine escape and run around the cars. Those platform tracks, though are kinda short for anything over about 3-5 cars. Well, maybe there aren't many passengers living nearby... :). In any case, you'd have to run the engine around and then push the cars into the end of the track to get up to 5. It really would make for lots of operational interest- at rush hour, you'd have to be taking the road engine off the front end, running it around, and perhaps bringing a new engine in off the ready track to couple to the former end car. It's enough to keep one person from getting bored!
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

glakedylan

Jeff
that is interesting information. thanks for sharing.
I suppose other than the RDC of the Reading Railroad back in my college days,
I have never seen a passenger consist short enough to be handled by those
platform tracks.
Good to know that such exist and is a subject for modeling.
Much appreciation--
Gary

Jeff

Well, I've had years of experience with the Hudson shore line of Metro North and the trains never got above 4-6 cars at rush hour. "It's not the SIZE that counts..."  :)  They reserved the mainline platforms for Amtrak trains.