News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

"Traintown"

Started by mjrbaseball, July 09, 2014, 03:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjrbaseball

OK, I am setting aside the other layout for a while and just playing.

This is my idea for a railroad museum called "Traintown". It is a stand-alone 4×8 now, but I may augment it into the club layout.

I modeled it after nearby Steamtown and the adjacent Electric City Trolley Museum in Scranton, but smaller and combined into one as it is intended to be a local museum. The excursion platform is set so trains can run across the turntable onto the main line. There is a trolley platform for the loop.

glakedylan

greetings and welcome to the AR forum and AR software!

recalling steamtown (I am a Pennsy guy and model PRR and other NE railroads) I remember more tracks from turntable and for display. is that correct?
just a tweak in that direction with adding 22" radius easements into the more than 180 degree curves as you will probably want to run some steam on those tracks too.
fwiw...
kindest regards
Gary

RhB_HJ

I highly recommend adding a short piece of straight track to all the curved entrances to the turntable. ;) :)
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

Jeff

I take it that the track across the top is the main? I'm not sure why you need TWO feeds into it off the turntable. If you look at this operation

http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com,

You'll see something very much like your idea for the museum. Not to mention which you'll see some very nice steam power. Several of the locomotives were in general service until about 5 years ago. The whole museum is the property of one (very well-off) man, who I envy a great deal!

Despite his statement on the front page, the place will become a museum of sorts when he's done. In the meantime, he just likes to play with trains, like the rest of us. He just plays with larger scale trains.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It