News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Flex Track problems

Started by Bob Bryce, July 09, 2014, 04:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Bryce

I am not new to Anyrail, but have not used flex track on a wide scale much.  I have a complete and fairly complex track plan in Bachmann sectional track consisting of 4 railroads on the upper level and 2 railroads on the lower level that I desire to convert to flex track.  I am having a lot of trouble superimposing flex track over the sectional track and not getting out of bounds indicators.  Combinations of 28" and 22" curves are there now, but I cannot seem to get flex to cleanly overlay.  I can always print the Bachmann, lay it out on the foam and lay my flex over that, but I would like to re-draw the plan in Peco flex.  Any pointers?

David

You can create curves from flex first (Right-click an unconnected flex and use 'Curve flex...').

So for each of your Bachmann curves, you can create a flex. For two connected 28" Bachmann curves, you can create one flex of course, etc.
Once you have them copy and paste to replace the Bachmann curves.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Bob Bryce

Thanks David,

I have been doing that, but there are some places where I do not want to cut the flex track to make just the curve.  When I try to make a 33.3/4 degree 22" rad curve coupled with 18" of straight track, this is where I have the problems.  Works with pieces of flex, just not all on one flex.

BritsTukker

Hi, Bob.

Two things to remember:
- using sectional track, a straight followed by a curve does not make for smooth running, which is why AR gives the option with flex of easements to give a smooth transition, so exactly copying the sectional track layout is not an ideal solution.

- even if you make up the design with short sections of flex, that does not mean you have to chop up the real flex when you build it

Have fun!

Bob Bryce

Both are excellent points!  Looks like I am fighting the program, which is trying to steer me in the correct direction, which is not what the sectional track is actually doing.

PaulB

Bob,
   There are some interesting aspects to the geometry of the tracks when you use easements.

Lets say you have two parallel tracks 48"s apart and you are going to connect them with a 180 degree curve of 24" radius? No Problem at all.

Now you decide to use easements so that you gradually go into the curve.
If you maintain the 24" radius for 120 degrees and add easements of 20 degrees on each end, the distance between the two parallel tracks would grow to about 49"s.
If you have to keep the tracks 48"s apart, you would reduce the 24" radius to be a bit less.
You would also have a change in distance from the end of the straights to the apex of the curve.  I had drawn up some .any files for this and posted them about two years ago. If I can find them on my other PC, I will repost them.
Paul
CEO of the PB&J RR

glakedylan

greetings
as has been mentioned (I believe) just because there is a joint in flex track in going from curve into straight does not mean you have to provide joint on the actual layout. when you are satisfied with your layout, note the beginning and ending points of turnouts, print out in 1:1 ratio, connect papers and lay track on top or trace through for pattern on table top.

when actually laying track, as a way to get it more accurate, if your will, there are a variety of track radius tools--ribbon rail is one (metal)<https://www.nscalesupply.com/rib/RIB.html>, fast tracks (wood) <http://www.handlaidtrack.com/Fast-Tracks-SweepSticks-Laser-Cut-Track-Form-s/2196.htm>--in whatever radius you are using and for straight track too.

but, as is also mentioned (I believe) there is good reason to able an easement into end of curved section to the straight section (in and out of curves). AnyRail makes this easy with its easement tool (10 degrees on each end of curve is sufficient, if keeping the same radius). When it comes to laying track on table top this I where you do very well to lay out on the printed paper or do a good job of tracing from paper on to table top.

such is the genius of AnyRail!

best regards,
Gary

Jeff

Right, Gary. Now if only we could get someone to provide plastic tape the exact width as the track roadbed. The tape outlined by paint would give us an exact place for laying the track.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

glakedylan

Jeff
I print out the track plan in "center line" mode. Then I have a line to lay the one side of cork. And, of course, the other side of cork must line up with it.
But, then, I suppose one could print with "roadbed" feature but I do not know how accurate that is to various products or unitrak.
Nonetheless, good point!
Appreciated...
Gary

Nick the Cabin Boy

On the home ribbon, there is a box marked "Trace", with a box underneath to set a width.  I just tried it, but I can't see that it does anything.  I looked up the online help, searched for "trace", and got no answer.

Edit: I've just tried again, having unchecked Roadbed - as it happens, my trace width was <= roadbed. So below comments now apply to Trace! But that means that the online help or downloadable manual must be lagging behind a bit, David?

Would it be possible to allow width-setting for Roadbed?  This might help Jeff, so he can set the width to match his plastic tape.  It might also be useful in avoiding clearance problems on double track curves.  You could work out the maximum overhang of a long car/wagon/coach/carriage (strike out as required for your location) for the curve radius you propose, and set the roadbed width to, say, 1/16" more.  If the roadbed overlaps on a double track curve, they're too close.

Nick
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

David

Trace is an undocumented function.
But what it does is that it draws a line of the given width under the track.
You can use this function to check clearances.

The roadbed width is given by the real track. This either the sleeper width or the width of the roadbed in case the roadbed comes with product.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.