News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Exporting to Collada

Started by BrianUK, March 29, 2015, 08:13:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianUK

Hi David

I seem to be having problems exporting to Collada where by I view the 3D imagin in Sketch-Up. (great way to check for 'sillies', spnning and zooming). The what is happening is that track corruption is occuring showing no connection and the levels are miss aligned. Typically in AR hit to disconnect a section of track make adjustmest to track and then put it all back together check for gradients and alignment. In AR all is good but on export the issue is not good.

I have created a fresh file and run the export again making sure not to fiddle with any thing till the export is complete. Only takes seconds to do - would be useful if a flash could come up on screen that says something like 'Export Complete'

Side issue - is there a limit to the file conversion size? I only have 230m of track in 7 layers and 13 sections all in 254k file size.

Chat some when you are able.

David

Could you post the track plan here for reference?

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

BrianUK

Hi David

Attached is the AR file as requested.
I had tried to attach the DAE file also to illustrate the occurance I was pointing at but of course the upload was dumped as being an illegal action.
No worries.

I hope this helps in some way, if only to correct something I might be doing wrong.

ATB

David

Hi Brian,

I don't think you're doing anything wrong.
I used Meshlab (free download) as a viewer, and it all seems OK, except for two connections at uneven heights.
In Sketch Up, indeed there seem to be problems. Also SU is terribly slow!

There's no limit in the size.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

BrianUK

Hi

Thanks for looking and that we see the same issue.
I will try and delete sections and re-build and see if this gets rid of the problem.

Roll on your next! always looking forward.

Meshlabs looks a really 'mean' tool.
I will try and create some 3d profiles in it.
Less any knows of any prgrame that lets us goto the third dimension easily.

ATB

BrianUK

Hi David

I have gotten round the problem described.
Whilst all the track is connected in AR the problem persisted in Mesh Labs (and Sketch-Up) as described. So I delete the track before and after the issue and reformed in new flexi.
That has worked a treat! Problem gone away.

Whatever is going on here it is really spookie.

David - it would be great not to have to export to another app, how is your work in going 3D etc getting on.

ATB

Footnote: My issues here are nothing to do with AR. I had run a 'smooth slope' through a number of junctions and not checked the junction had sensible altitudes in them at each of the points of connection. If there are extremes then in the XML export the extremes are not managed, like Dave has remarked previously - the maths is just too severe, so xml just disconnects it which is a great way to deal with it and it becomes a focus of investigation. So to make the correction re-run the export and check your work. Gradually the issues will be flushed out. Hey it works - as if by magic. I some times wonder if I used my elbows to type I might get better accuracy.