News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

3 layouts with slope % issues

Started by vvarady, September 25, 2015, 11:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarady

Can anyone make the grades reasonable with these 3 Terrain for Trains layouts.
I made the Atlas plans using Kato Unitrack.

Thanks

chaz

Hi,

Nobody has responded so I'll take a shot at this.

This is just an opinion, but I don't like turnouts on slopes.

First, I'm going to focus on the layout in the upper right.  It's a variant of John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid, so there is a lot of information available.

Second, AR has tools to make layouts with level tracks, separated by sloping tracks.  During the design phase, I make each flat and each slope a section, because it's easy to select a section in AR.  I'll change the sections later.

Third, I chose to build this layout with 3% slopes and 2" minimum height (top of track to top of track) between crossing tracks.  What this means is the length of the slopes should be 66.67" (66.67" * 0.03 = 2").  AR displays the length of the selected tracks.

Fourth, there is always something that doesn't fit.  In your case, the track to track clearance is only 1.8" on the upper right crossing.  You might move the orange turnout to the left.  In addition, the height of the red section is only 3.65".  I don't think it's possible to make it 5" without making the layout bigger.

Chaz 

MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.