News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

20ft Container Layout, English outline

Started by intlx1, January 01, 2016, 03:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

intlx1

HI all

happy new year.

I have decided to design a layout to built into a 20ft shipping container.

As i rent, there is no way for me to build a long term layout in my house, but i can store a container in my warehouse yard.

obviously the details have not been fleshed out completely, but it is at a workable stage so far.

any thoughts are welcome.

Regards

Rodney

BritsTukker

Greetings, young man, and a happy new year to you, too (and all our other viewers). Welcome to the forum.

Some basic things to consider about using a shipping container:
- Climate: where I live, the thing would need to be insulated and heated. Of course, you can get containers ready-fitted with air conditioning units, which are normally mounted at the top of the inside end, so don't interfere with your layout.
- access and lighting: do you have the option to install windows in the thing? 20ft is not too bad, but the 40ft ones can feel quite claustrophobic.
- security: unattended containers are regularly broken into, and you'd hate to lose your rolling stock, tools, etc.

Looks like you've progressed quite well with your layout. Be careful that you don't overreach. A derailment in the corner on the blue helix could be difficult to recover. A the right hand end, the clearance between the red and pink tracks does not seem to take into account the thickness of the baseboard.

A layout is seldom 'finished' and you'll probably be modifying it for years to come. Main thing is, enjoy yourself!

Union R. R.

It looks like a really nice layout for the space.  Very efficient.  I would love to see the finished layout.  I imagine it will be quite interesting with all the different elevations.

What era are you modeling?  Diesel or steam?  And may I ask what industry or passenger line you are modeling?  I'm just curious.  I always like to know what locations people are modeling or getting their inspiration from, even if they are only modeling an abstract representation of it.

intlx1

Hi

the concept for the layout is modelling mainline and branchline heritage. gives me a license to model both modern image as well as early era or big4.

No specific lines are being modeled but having the option for both mainline and branchline opeartions should make it pretty interesting. i havent thought as far as industry at this stage, as the mojarity of the running would be passenger stock.

building this thing is way in the distance as i have some other projects to work on first, but ill keep updating the forum as we go along.

chaz

Hi intlx1

Very nice layout.  I like the continuous Eastbound and Westbound nature of the lower level and the out and back nature of the branch line.  Out and back lends itself to Push/Pull passenger operations.

My only caution is to make sure you can get to the hidden tracks, especially those in and near the helix.  See the 3D rendition.

Chaz
MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

intlx1

thanks chaz

there is a plan for a void in the centre of the helix so that one can climb in and stand up in it, with an access door in from the side as well. other than that there is not too much hidden track at all.  the shelf does not cover the rear lower tracks but rather is a completely separate layout.

i figured that having a continuous up/down mainline run with a couple of stations and plenty of room for industry would make a great contrast against the upper level country branch line style run. it also makes the most use of the space in the container.

it will also fill the need for a fairly modern mainline run (where i can run my pendolino) as well as the heritage aspect of the modelling.

having multiple levels all the way around also adds a lot to the interest of the project.

At this rate it might be finished by the time i retire (i'm only 33) so lots to look forward to.

i am also thinking of using code 40 finetrax on the upper level.  hopefully he has RTR and a better price structure by the time i get there.

Cheers

Rod

chaz

Reaching through the helix to the upper left corner is going to be tough.  I hope that's were the you have access through the wall.

You might consider a dual gauge layout.  The upper level could be narrow gauge, while the lower level stays standard gauge.  The lower level town would be populated with a variety of freight transfers.  The South African town of Umzinto is a good example.  Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to get to the Umzinto track plan...and lots of great pictures.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59139-south-african-two-foot-gauge-railways/

Chaz
MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.