News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Flattened image

Started by David, January 01, 2009, 07:42:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Very rarely, we encounter an issue a user of AnyRail has that is hard to solve. As we would like to resolve this one as soon as possible, we decided to ask for your help.

We are currently investigating a case where a user gets a flattened image of his layout on the screen. So, circles are stretched horizontally and look more like ellipses. There seems to be something wrong with the aspect ratio.
See the attached picture for clarification.

Of course, we are testing our software on all sorts of displays, both 'standard' and 'wide screen', with all possible resolutions. On all of them, AnyRail works fine. So it does not seem to be a trivial problem.

This user has a Toshiba Satellite A70/75 Series laptop.
The screen resolution is set at max - 1280-800 (32 bit) for this laptop.
The graphics is provided by ATI Mobility 9000 IGP.
The Laptop is running on Windows XP.

So our question is:
Is there anyone out there using the same laptop (or graphics card), with or without this problem?
Is there anyone at all having this same issue on another type of computer?

If so, please let us know, either through the forum or through email: info@anyrail.com.

AnyRail Support Team
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

santerdam

David, I have never seen this issue on my PC.

I can take a Toshiba Satellite A70 + Windows XP at my office tomorrow. I will install Anyrail and do the test this weekend.

Sander

David

Hi Sander,

That's great! It would be very helpful to hear about your findings.

David.

santerdam

David, I have done the test. This was done with a Toshiba Satellite A70 + Windows XP (all patches installed) and the standard graphical board and 1280 resolution. I have tried several layouts and I could not notice any problem. The circles were both printed as track and exported to .jpg and than printed.
As final test I took a half circle with my own track (Roco GeoLine) and printed 1:1. The rails fits perfect on this paper-trackbedding.

So my test didn't show any issue.

Sander

[edit]
Tested with Anyrail 3.19.0 NL

David

Hi Sander,

Thanks a lot for the effort. I appreciate it a lot.

It doesn't make the problem any easier to solve though! My guess it has to do either with drivers, or with other nonstandard settings that we've not seen before.

Thanks again,

David.

santerdam

David,

You can do this test. Make a .jpg from a perfect circle. Mail this to the owner of the 'problem' laptop. Test to see how the perfect circle shows on then laptop and see what happens if you print. This way you know the object is OK and you can see how the drivers manipulate the image.

Good luck,

Sander

David

Sander, thanks for your suggestion.
After some further discussion with this user, he decided to use AnyRail on another laptop where it works fine.

However, if anyone else is having similar problems, please let us know!

David.

RichardL

I see this effect on W2K running on a virtual machine - via VirtualBox

Might be easy to reproduce this way too - i.e. Virtualbox is free & if it is indeed a video card problem rather than O/S/ the W2K requirement becomes moot.

David

Thanks Richard.

We've seen the same on VMWare running Windows on the Mac.

I'll check it out.

David.

David

We've reproduced the problem and we're working on a solution.

David.

David

This issue should be solved in version 3.25.0 of the software.

David.