News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Need opinions on Swiss mountain layout

Started by putput, December 19, 2016, 03:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

putput

Hello everybody,   

I just wanted your opinion on this layout. It isnt based on anything, I'm just going for a swiss  layout with 1 10cm rased double loop( purple) connected tp a ground section by 1 double track incline( black) and two single track inclines( red and light green). The inclines are all at 2.3%  I should be able to get that down to 2% when I build it.

There are probably many things wrong with it. Your help will be greathly apreciated.

best regard.

chris.

mrsax2000

You have several "s" curves that you might want to consider smoothing out.  This could be a broader curve or a length of straight in the middle.  "s" curves are cool when long (and those usually have a length of straight or easements), but can be problematic when short.  On a model, trains can look odd as the bounce to and fro.

mrsax2000

Your top yard could have both pass and freight.  The loop is an ideal spot for engine service.

Tom Springer

Chris,

Questions to ask when designing a yard:

1) Where is your yard lead (drill track)?  How do you switch cars within your yard?  Yards generally have a yard lead to keep the switcher (or incoming trains) from fouling the mainline.
2) How do you reverse engines after they arrive?
3) What will be the longest train to enter/leave your yard? Do you have room for it?

Here's one place to better understand the issues with yard design: http://www.housatonicrr.com/yard_des.html   You'll find other on the web.

I strongly recommend to anyone designing a yard (and everything else): take your layout over to TrainPlayer and try it out, especially try to switch cars in your yard, and see how things work.  The value of TrainPlayer as a "lab" to test your concepts can't be overstated (by me, at least).  There are things I find as "issues" with layouts I've designed that continue to amaze me as to why I didn't see them in the first place - why I've become such a believer that a layout design isn't done until one tries to actually operate it.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

mrsax2000

I believe his yard "approach" tracks could double as leads.  They are long and seem to switch (off) from the main.

Tom Springer

True, the inner one can be converted to a yard lead, leaving a single arrival/departure track.  But knowing the actual yard needs itself, lengths of tracks, number, etc., should probably be defined before making suggestions - and a means as you recommended to turn the engines and provide service, even if limited, will also depend on the train configurations.  I'm worried about recommending/suggesting too many things without knowing more about the yard's needs and use.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

mrsax2000

Both approach tracks could be left for 2 lead options, depending on arriving/departing traffic.  I'm still running the prior version of AnyRail, but opening the ANY file would give the dimensions and available space.

mrsax2000

What scale is this in?  I can't open since I'm still running prior AR version.

putput

it is going to be N scale. I have a new born at home and just started a new job so my free time is spent with a bottle in my hand and not track ;D probably going to start the layout in april.  I'm trying out all kinds of layouts to see what I prefer.

thank you for your help

RhB_HJ

Hi Chris,

My first question: is this narrow gauge or standard gauge?

I know you mentioned 
QuoteIt isnt based on anything", ....
however it is easier to get a believable layout if you follow some of the Swiss practices — writes he who has been modeling or trying to model Swiss prototype since 1952. While there are many variations on the theme there are some basics that remain across all the many railway lines (State or private). If I were to design this I would take an amalgam of different features from one of the double track lines across the mountains (Gotthard or Lötschberg?) and the very first thing I would do is get rid of the set track and use flex track instead. that takes the toy aspect right out of the equation.  ;)  ;D

I'll see what I can come up with, but it won't happen overnight.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display

putput

Hi RhB,

Well with the happy news of a new baby boy on the way, the futur train room has turned into futur baby room a while back.

Bye luck, I just received a layout from a collegue, only thing is I've never worked on a layout, and have no clue how to wire  it. There are 4 spots to wire numbered 1 2 3 4 on the anyrail file. I have a fleischmann z21 starter kit and have been able to get the train to work on the blue and red track. Unfortunetly impossible to wire the rest correctly and haven't found the reason. Help would be great.

thanks a lot

RhB_HJ

That should be straight forward. I would run a DCC bus across all those tracks (under the layout board!!!) halfway down the long side, then drop down the feeder wires from each track and connect to the bus with suitcase connectors.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display