News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

crossings and sections

Started by ethelgarth, January 26, 2009, 06:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethelgarth

Hi,

I've done a search and can't find this, so: Why do crossings have no "conductivity" built in and can this be done? I was sectioning my layout and any ideas on logical sectioning have totally gone when I got to my double junctions. The pieces seem to merely be blocks which join all the connected tracks together regardless of logic.

As a second item, I have hidden tracks which run under a terminus. I can avoid seeing the lower layer by hiding hidden tracks but can I remove the upper level to modify what's beneath? I agreed with the twenty bit wishlist recently tabled and some kind of levels might be useful in this case.

David E

David

Hi David,

Yes, that's a problem with crossings indeed. Most crossings have two separate paths, that should be more or less considered as separate tracks. There are more types of elements with similar problems.

It's on our list of annoying things that need to be repaired.

About hiding track: layers are the ultimate solution, but for now, if you've set the heights, you could try to use the 'Visible Range' function. You can find it in the 'View' tab of the 'Tools/Options' menu.

Here, you need to set a lower and an upper limit, basically defining a horizontal slice of your layout. If your terminus is at level 0, and your hidden tracks at -5, you could set the values to -5 and -0.1, to see only the track below the terminus.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

ethelgarth

Hi David,

Thanks for that.

The advice on heights is fine and does all I need it to do to show the bits I want.

I can see your problems with crossings (not to mention slips) and I guess the next request would be to have switchable points to show active areas! I suppose the only way to achieve any of these would be if the track sections were made of two distinct rails which connected ( and got isolated) separately. That should keep your mathematical wife busy for a little longer.

I think for now I'll remove all sections, change the track colour to clear (white) and get the crayons out.

Regards,

David E

Jeff

About hiding track- click Tools / Options / Drawing...

the bottom of the window has check-boxes to let you show or hide Hidden and Visible layers. David is correct in his method, I just find this one quicker :)
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It