News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Easements (transitional) Curves

Started by jTrackin, August 19, 2017, 09:01:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jTrackin

Love this AnyRail Software  ...was attracted by the fact you can use Easements (transitional) Curves  ...but the numbers don't work like I understand Easements (transitional) Curves should work (e.g. model railroader mag) So I have made this chart to use and I it works well. I've attached this as a pdf.  I know how to do this in drawing it out on a board but I want all these details in my software to start with not have to add them later. Let me know what you think.  thanks jTrackin

David

Thanks for the chart. What does the left green column represent?

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

jTrackin

Hi David   If one wants to have say a 24" radius circle or  a corner, one cant just put in the Anyrail easement box 24" and then the angle otherwise it is too sharp and short but if one wants say a 24" curve one needs to put in 18 for the angle and 32.38 for the radius and the easement ends up being exactly in the right place for the 24" curve to follow and then back into a easement to come out of the corner.

David

OK, I see. However, the easement will then not spiral into the correct radius.

The easement is in fact a spiral, starting straight, and the swirling in turns closer and closer to the center.

The radius entered in AnyRail is the radius of the circle it spirals to.

It works best with angles of 30 to 60 degrees.

jTrackin

I mostly am using this for 90 degrees and less as I'm going around the room 14 x 12 feet. I've attached a calculator from John Galt who explains to me a novice and it seems complicated but once grasped it is understandable. However John Galt Calculator figures then don't match the AnyRail easement imput box hence the chart mine (jTrackin) if one just put those figures in both Angle (19.6) and Radius (26.70) (see attached) if you were to want a 21' radius corner. Now on every curve and in my AnyRail track plan I dont have to now calculate or use guide lines.
1. Straight Flex track --
2. Easement Flex track Angle (19.6) and Radius (26.70) --
3. Curve Flexi Track  Angle (whatever)  Radius 21   
4. Easement Flex track Angle (19.6) and Radius (26.70) --
5. Straight Flex track --
Simple..
Its Fun making your hobby complicated... 

jTrackin

Hi   
Just wondering if one can teach me which of these curves would be best (attached) maybe I've complicated it too much
Layer 1a, 1b  or 2  seems to me the best way  but which would be best practice?
Layer 3 is with no Easement  - not my choice
Layer 4 for tighter corners - question should the angle more or less in the easement?   
Hey i'm just a newbie. need to be informed. 
Thanks James

David

I don't know what is best. Of course, in reality, a railroad uses a much wider radius.

A final option is to use only easements, as in the attached example.

jTrackin

Thanks I didn't know you could or should use easement all the way.  Is this what people do and does that make it too sharp of a curve? 

Dragonfly

An easement is never tighter than the radius you specify (because it gradually transits from straight to a curve of that radius), so no, it should not make it too sharp of a curve.

Mike from CT

If anything, it makes an unnecessarily broad curve....

(For the record, I design with very broad radii for my scale and when time comes to actually build, led a strip of thin fiber board decide the actual easement for me.)