News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Looking for Constructive criticism

Started by Bondy, September 26, 2017, 01:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bondy

Hi guys it's been a long time since I posted a track plan but due to my current (hopefully) long term work assignment I have decided to start construction of a layout in the space I have available.

I was initially going to do my modelling in N Scale because where ever I end up building a layout my major restriction is going to be space and I am probably always going to be limited to a bedroom sized layout. Unfortunately at 55 with eyesight that seems to get worse by the month I have decided HO is the better option, so what I am hoping I have put together is a layout that while being a compromise is going to allow my grand children to watch trains run while at the same time give me the ability to run fairly interesting operations.

Now here is the rub I have actually started building the bench work for this layout using AnyRail as my template I have imported the route into train player to see how I might run an operations session and I am fairly happy with the results.

I do have a couple of concerns though and on the file that is created with AnyRail 6 they are all colored (RED)
#1.. I have one curve whose radius in just 22 inches and while I envisage that it will only be use by a switcher and short box cars or gondolas I still worry that 22 inches is to tight
#2 I have a small piece of track on the peninsular that effectively creates a reversing loop and I am worried that this will be difficult to wire up electrically
#3 The easiest concern I have is the for framework supports that I have made red, I believe that these are directly under the control points of some of my switches, while these supports should be easy to move and I am trying to decide if I should build them in such a way that they are removable in-case I decide to install tortoise type switch motors

There is also a reason I have called all the industries as proposed. Where ever possible I will create these industries as removable modules so that I can swap the out to add variety to my operations.

A few basic detail you probably need to know so that you can give advise
All track will be Peco code 100
DCC Control system will be NCE

If you need any more info please ask
If you have any ideas or constructive criticism I would appreciate the advice
This is my first model railroad in more than 20 years

Thanks in advance
Michael

Mike from CT

My only suggestion involves wiring.  Setting up just that cross over as as the reversing track is a poor idea.  Reversing tracks should be long enough to carry all cars in a train (actually all that may conduct current).  If you bridge both ends of the track simultaneously, you will create a short. It"s easy enough to fix, however - just include the entire purple track as part of the reversing block,

Bondy

Thanks Mike
Having that connection is only an option at the moment
I will definitely do some research before attempting to install an auto reversing module

mrsax2000

The auto-reverse module should be straight forward. Just isolate a section and follow the install instructions. They are "auto" for a reason.

Check the various DCC boards for the mfg of the module you purchase.

mrsax2000

I think the (red) 22" curve should be fine. But I'd move the light gray/blue track next to it. Make it's radius a bit larger. Then you won't have to worry about longer cars overhanging or getting caught on one another.

mrsax2000

I like your use of layers for bench and frame work. The colors work nicely.

David

I've added a picture to your original post.

First of all: it looks very nice!

I worry slightly about the duck-under. Is this going to be a part that can be taken out?
If so, it'll be hard with the turnout on it. If not, it's quite inconvenient as the aisles are quite narrow.

I would also add some hidden staging on a lower level. This will add to the fun as not all trains will be in sight all the time.

Finally, you might want to plan for some room where you can sit and install the control unit(s). I know it's very tight, but when I completed my first layout I never really played with it as it was too inconvenient to stand in the same few square feet all the time. In subsequent designs I always made sure that there's enough room to move and sit, sometimes at the cost of some extra sidings.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

RCMan

I looked at your track spacing and it seems to be very narrow.  2" spacing might clear on straights but on curves with some cars might now clear.  2 1/2" on curves might be better.

Dennis
Bonham Texas

Bob Bryce

Quote from: Bondy on September 26, 2017, 01:55:29 PM

#1.. I have one curve whose radius in just 22 inches and while I envisage that it will only be use by a switcher and short box cars or gondolas I still worry that 22 inches is to tight.

I have a simple question.  Why do you feel that 22" curves are too tight?  Is it for appearance or functionality? 

I have a medium size (10' x 12') HO layout with several independent railroad lines.  I am running several long passenger cars (Alaska McKinley Explorer) and and a freight train pulled by a Big Boy steam engine and they all run fine on 22" turns.  Everything else runs fine on 18" curves including long box cars, gondolas and Tropicana very long refer cars.  I also am running several AC6000 and SD70 diesel locomotives in consists on 18" curves.

Not sure why you feel you are limited to switchers on 22" curves.

Bondy

Thanks David
Yes at the moment it is just a duck under but if I find that is to awkward I can remove that switch and the connection at that point to the mainline so that the small section could be made removable or a swing
I do really appreciate the comment about space and comfort. I imagine the main control units would be installed at the end of the peninsular which I could both shorten up and narrow down a little to more space that said I am intending to have the baseboard at 1.5 meters which I hope will give me space under the layout for a desk/workbench where I could sit

Hi Bob
Let me first say that I am in many ways new to this hobby, I had a very simple 8x4 Hornby layout as a kid but that was so long ago it probably doesn't even count. My concerns with 22" curves just comes from way to much reading on the subject with many people saying that bigger is always better both for performance and appearance especially when running longer rollingstock, but I am glad to hear that you run some impressively big equipment on 22" curves

Thanks RCMan
I definitely hear what you are saying I will make sure I do some experimenting before I lay track at 2" spacing

Thanks to everyone that has given advise I will take it all on board and see if I can tweak the layout plan a little

Cheers
Michael

Bondy

So I have tried to take on board some of the suggestions made by our members
I have translated them as best I can to my layout
1.  All track work now has 2.5" separation
2.  I have shortened and narrowed the peninsular slightly to increase walkway size
3.  I have removed the switch that was on the duck under section in case I decide to make it a swing or a lift out

I have left the old track work layer in the file for comparison the new track work is on a layer of its own
Still looking for any other ideas or possible issues as I am actually starting to build the framework
I have attached a new picture and the .any file for anyone who would like to assist

Cheers
Michael

mrsax2000

I didn't think about the aisles being to small, but it's a valid concern. It may not look like it on paper, but there is a good probability you will hate standing or sitting in 24" slots. Especially if you have a friend over to help run trains.

This could be done by reworking the peninsula. Take 6" off the top and 6" off the bottom. Then remove the top industries and have it serviced only from the bottom. This would also eliminate the reversing issue. You could rework the tracks along the left as a small classification yard and may be eliminate one of the inner loops that run along the right. The brown line isn't really needed if you remove the top industries. Open things up a bit. You have a lot of track there.

Think less is more... :)

Bob Bryce

Actually, you have a really LOT of track!  I see a lot of industry, but I don't know where you are and what you can buy, but there is not a lot of industry that will fit in a 4" - 6" wide area, assuming your grid lines are 2" square.  Also, no roads, parking, loading zones, etc. 

With Anyrail you can insert all of these things at the exact size to see if things will fit.

I would hate to see you lay all that track and find you don't have space for anything else.

mrsax2000

Many railroads end up looking like a loop of track (trains chasing their tails) or a bowl of spaghetti. My first railroad was a loop. The second was a loop. Both were fun to build but not much fun to operate or watch.

I've come to realize that it is better to have a railroad that "appears" to go from point A to point B (even if it doesn't), has a reason to exist (or how traffic moves). Once you're past the build and run stage, you may want to operate and switch some stuff.

Your duck-under provides visible end points (between A and B) and would make great spots for small classification yards. Industries could then be fed from those points, with 1 or 2 tracks over the duck under for continuous running.

Your plan is a really good start. But don't allow yourself to be locked into the original plan you based this one. Consider trimming it down a bit.  Use google for similar examples (size and shape) and ideas.

Before you commit, export your final plan and import it into Train Player (can be downloaded and run for free). It will give you a good idea about how your plan will work in the real world.

I've been planning a large n-scale layout for a couple years now and am just about ready to start building.  I've reduced my estimated track cost in half by designing less and thinking about what I want this to be once the track is laid and working.

Also it's much easier for me to be objective about your plan than my own.

The Track Planner

I'm a little surprised, someone hasn't suggested an "around the walls - center peninsula with a turnback. As opposed to having a stub-end peninsula. I did some measuring and a 24" radius turnback curved, allowing 2" from track center to fascia edge, would allow 30" aisles (top & bottom) with a 24" aisle at the top of the turnback (right side) peninsula. This would allow 19" wide benchwork along the top and bottom walls and if you used an 8" wide shelf along the right hand wall, the over length of the turn-back peninsula would be slightly over 10 ft., more than making up for lost of benchwork along the right hand wall. The peninsula could also angle back into itself thus creating aisle widths wider than 30". Placing a view block down the center of the peninsula would divide the layout, creating the feeling of a much larger layout, and the track plan could be a true "walk-along" design, where operators would have to walk with their trains as the train traversed the room.