News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Looking for Constructive criticism

Started by Bondy, September 26, 2017, 01:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsax2000

The around the wall approach as mentioned might be preferable. But I think everyone was commenting on Bondy's plan vs. going in another direction.

Bondy, hope you are open to considering other plans approaches. The work on your plan won't go to waste if for no other reason it helped you to learn the software.

BTW, Bondy's plan is very nicely done and I've applied his styling to my own N-scale plan.

I'll be 58 in a couple months (how did I get this old??) and didn't see size as a reason to avoid it. I chose it for one of the reasons he stated - more trains in less space. That and HO has plenty of tiny bits to confound you. Also, you could make an argument for less detail things to model (and break) because it's smaller. :)

Bondy

I want to thank those of you who have taken the time to have a look at my plan and make some very welcomed suggestions

I have taken some of the advise on board for sure and reworked the plan somewhat
Can I just say that I have been designing a model railroad for myself both in N Scale and HO for three or four years now using Anyrail as my primary software and I want to thank David for the awesome job he has done with this package.

So back to the layout
I tried to take an objective look at the amount of track work I had in my original plan and I agree that there was a an over abundance of track so I have trimmed that down as much as I feel I can but selectively, even to the point where I have removed the second continuous run loop which is bound to cause arguments with a couple of my grandsons.

My biggest fear though is that I will just procrastinate so long in the design phase that I never get to enjoy the hobby the way that is meant to be enjoyed and by that I mean actually running trains on a layout or planning and performing operations on a layout that I have built myself

So the picture and .any file I have attached are what I am intending to build
Note that the red tracks and their required switches are at this stage very much optional
I realise that the plan is far from perfect but the way I see it thats all part of the fun, building running and then tweaking or altering the layout so that it suits you better. Seems to me thats the way it happens on real railroads as well

So please take a look at the trimmed layout and feel free to let me know if you have any ideas that will improve what I have at the moment
And again thanks everyone for the great comments and advise

Cheers
Michael (Bondy)

The Track Planner

Michael,
Question... if trains are traveling (on the mainline) in a counterclockwise direction, and enter the classification yard using the left hand turnout (in the upper right hand corner), how does a train re-enter the mainline, traveling in the same counterclockwise direction?
The blue track you have labeled "industry secondary" is also an "arrival/departure" track for the yard, and also serves as a "yard lead" to sort cars in the yard.
You will need another "cross-over" to get trains from the yard back onto the main, if you want to continue traveling in a counterclockwise direction.
Although, not an ideal situation, if you add another "cross-over" the blue track could also serve as a passing siding. A separate passing siding would be best, but as currently designed, you don't have room.

mrsax2000

Looking good.

The top industry on the peninsula could be a pier/waterfront for containers or whatever. A large shipping/warehouse could run down the middle and help to break up the scene.

You could still have a double track main if you wanted. But I really like what you've done.

Hear you on the stuck in design mode. I've been there far too long. Starting to prep my train room so I can begin the lumber work.

Hey, were did you get the people? Looks like the ones used by MR.

Bondy

Thanks mrsax
I like the waterfront idea a lot ... large warehouse and some straddle cranes and a container ship
And you guessed right on the people shhhhhh!! Amazing what you can do with Photoshop

Cheers
Michael (Bondy)

Bob Bryce

I like it much better with less track and more scenery.  With regards to some of the other comments, I strongly suggest downloading Trainplayer, exporting your Anyrail layout into Trainplayer, build some trains like the ones you will have and run them.  If they work in Trainplayer, they will work for you and your kids.  If not, now is the time for final adjustments.  You can still start the form work, print the layout from Anyrail and see how it looks full size.  By then, you will know how well it will work and any changes you may want to make will be easy at that point.

If you look at my post   "Tips and tricks / Using the Print Utility to print your layout
on: July 31, 2017, 01:14:34 am"   you will see how I did it.  And yes, I made some changes after trying to run the layout.

"The are only 3 things in life that are absolute:  Death, Taxes and Model Railroad Layout Changes"

Bondy

Thanks Bob

I have downloaded trainplayer to see how it will operate and I am pretty happy even with the single mainline
I even went as far as building the layout in Trainz to get a feel for it

As suggested by The Track Planner I did add another cross over back onto the mainline

Cheers
Michael (Bondy)

mrsax2000

Your blue color for the control panel screamed waterfront to me

mrsax2000

I use Gimp instead of photoshop (it's free) :)