News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

T-Trak Woodland Central

Started by poppy2201, October 10, 2017, 09:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy2201

Received the two single wide modules for my plan today from Masterpiece Modules despite US Postal Service trying to destroy them.  Unfortunately due to weather conditions and high volume of orders, the track won't arrive for approximately another week.  I will start assembly of these two modules this weekend.

Regards,
Charles
Charles J.

poppy2201

Finally got a chance to unwrap the single modules I ordered from Masterpiece Modules.  There is a video on their web site that details the assembly of the modules.  These modules are cut using CNC router technology and one of the first things you want to do is sandpaper the areas that have been cut to remove any "fuzzies" left over by the machine.  After I did this I laid out the 5 pieces in the correct orientation.  Hopefully I will have the chance to glue and assemble them today after some appointments I have.

In order to save on postage, he packaged these first two kits together but he also stamped each piece with matching serial numbers in order not to mix the parts.  It's important that you use the correct part for each kit and not mix them.

Regards,
Charles
Charles J.

poppy2201

Had a chance to assemble my first single module today. It went pretty easy except for one little disappointment, the deck is slightly warped. I laid the track for this single temporarily and will fasten permanently after I paint the module. Learned one thing, not a fan of mounting the track with screws from underneath. The module is from Masterpiece Modules.

Regards,
Charles
Charles J.

mrsax2000

I didn't know these were an option. Nice idea.

poppy2201

Quote from: mrsax2000 on January 27, 2018, 05:03:32 AM
I didn't know these were an option. Nice idea.

Are you referring to the modules? Track?

Regards,
Charles
Charles J.

poppy2201

Since it's a dreary, rainy day here in the panhandle of Florida, I took the time to paint the fascia of the single modules today.  The color is Owl Brown and Behr Premium Plus paint.  This is one coat but I may do a second coat.  I left the deck of the module unpainted because I will paint it with a lighter "earth" tone to simulate the ground.  This will help when I start to add scenic materials.

Regards,
Charles
Charles J.

mrsax2000

I didn't know these modules were available for purchase.  I thought people just bought wood and built them.

poppy2201

Quote from: mrsax2000 on January 30, 2018, 02:12:19 PM
I didn't know these modules were available for purchase.  I thought people just bought wood and built them.

There are many options out there.  A lot of people do build their own but since I don't have space and woodworking tools (table saw, miter saw etc.) I chose to purchase commercial kits.  There are 2 suppliers here in the USA, T-Kits.com and Masterpiece Modules.  Both are good.  There are some differences between the two but both utilize CNC router technology to cut the components and both use Russian Baltic Birch plywood.  Assembly is pretty easy.

Regards,
Charles
Charles J.

poppy2201

I am currently working on a single T-TRAK module that will be home to the Jantzen Creamery in honor of my great-grandfather who owned the creamery in Hillsboro, Kansas from 1893-1903.

I am using the Woodland Scenics O'Leary Dairy Distribution Pre-Fab kit for the creamery.  I have given all the parts a coat of primer and then will give it's final paint job within the next few days.  The assembly of the kit will go pretty fast as the main portion of the structure comes pretty much in its final form.  It's the little details that will take most of the time.

Regards,
Charles

Charles J.